measuring cap resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrylr

Hi all,
I've soldered one lead of a 8.2 uF cap to one lug of an 8R45 10w aluminum encased vishay dale power resistor. The cap, prior to soldering, measured 8.311. The resistor, prior to soldering, measured 8R45 10W. What measurement should I expect, with my LCR meter in the cap mode, after the soldering, or should I use the L or R mode. Or should I measure with a different type of meter or different value setting?

Thanks,
henrylrjr

Assuming you've only connected one end of each?, then just measure then independently exactly as before - as they aren't really connected.

Although I don't quite see why you want to measure them anyway?.

I measured them independently after they were soldered together and got the same values as before they were soldered. I guess that means I didn't cook either component. Just out of curiosity I put a meter probes on the unconnected lead of the cap and the unconnected lug of the resistor and got a different value in all three modes of my LCR meter. I thought there might be an equation or explanation as to why the value is different and if there is a special way to get a meaningful combined value.

Thanks,
henrylr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…