Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring very small solid objects…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I have a few projects in mind where I need to measure solid objects somehow. I need to know of a way to do this, that doesn’t use weight as its sensor. This is because I will be using the same setup for several objects weighing different amounts. The object size for one of my projects is only about 1/16” to 1/2” or so… a different project in mind will only need to measure a few different types of powder.

Liquid is easy to measure. Float valves and all different kinds of electronic liquid measuring are available. However, I’ve never seen anything about solid objects. :?

There’s a fact that I think I’ll have to face in this though: I’ll have to use mechanics. I hate mechanics, and they hate me... badly. (Especially small mechanics. Ugh, bad memories… those **** TINY springs!!!) :lol: Of course, some type of pre-built mechanical assembly is preferable… but not likely.

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or… whatever you want to call them , would be greatly appreciated. :) No no… I’m not just saying that… I mean it. GREATLY appreciated. I’ve got nothin’ on the matter. :roll: So really, ANYTHING.

Thanks a ton.

Rain

You need a micrometer.
I..well my dad..has one that can measure down to 0.001"

As for the powder, you'll probably need to weigh it.

By measure, do you mean count? The usual method is to count 10 or 100 and weigh that amount, then weigh the whole batch and divide by the weight of 1 to get the count. If you have a mixed batch, a statical method would be needed.

Jeff: I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. BTW, a friend on mine said you name sounded familiar, she said she thought she went to school with a Jeff Zimmerman. I googled you and apparently you're a big Baseball star. :lol: Small world eh?

Dr.EM: Hmm... that sound's like a lot of work, but it would probably get the job done. I'll think about it.

Russlk: No, by measure I just mean like a measuring cup. A measuring cup attached to a stepper motor or something like that is something I've thought about. But that will probably result in lots of mechanics.

Rain

Electric Rain said:
Jeff: I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. BTW, a friend on mine said you name sounded familiar, she said she thought she went to school with a Jeff Zimmerman. I googled you and apparently you're a big Baseball star. :lol: Small world eh?

Rain

Yeah, too bad I never see a paycheck for it. :lol:
Is she up here in Erie?

Anyhoo, what exactly are you trying to do? make a scale or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back