Measuring very small solid objects…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric Rain

I have a few projects in mind where I need to measure solid objects somehow. I need to know of a way to do this, that doesn’t use weight as its sensor. This is because I will be using the same setup for several objects weighing different amounts. The object size for one of my projects is only about 1/16” to 1/2” or so… a different project in mind will only need to measure a few different types of powder.

Liquid is easy to measure. Float valves and all different kinds of electronic liquid measuring are available. However, I’ve never seen anything about solid objects. :?

There’s a fact that I think I’ll have to face in this though: I’ll have to use mechanics. I hate mechanics, and they hate me... badly. (Especially small mechanics. Ugh, bad memories… those **** TINY springs!!!) :lol: Of course, some type of pre-built mechanical assembly is preferable… but not likely.

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or… whatever you want to call them , would be greatly appreciated. No no… I’m not just saying that… I mean it. GREATLY appreciated. I’ve got nothin’ on the matter. :roll: So really, ANYTHING.

Thanks a ton.

Rain

You need a micrometer.
I..well my dad..has one that can measure down to 0.001"

As for the powder, you'll probably need to weigh it.

Is it possible to make a non contact one using low power ultrasound transimitters and recievers? I've never used them myself, so I dont know, but I would have thought its a possiblity :?

By measure, do you mean count? The usual method is to count 10 or 100 and weigh that amount, then weigh the whole batch and divide by the weight of 1 to get the count. If you have a mixed batch, a statical method would be needed.

Jeff: I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. BTW, a friend on mine said you name sounded familiar, she said she thought she went to school with a Jeff Zimmerman. I googled you and apparently you're a big Baseball star. :lol: Small world eh?

Dr.EM: Hmm... that sound's like a lot of work, but it would probably get the job done. I'll think about it.

Russlk: No, by measure I just mean like a measuring cup. A measuring cup attached to a stepper motor or something like that is something I've thought about. But that will probably result in lots of mechanics.

Rain

Yeah, too bad I never see a paycheck for it. :lol:
Is she up here in Erie?

Anyhoo, what exactly are you trying to do? make a scale or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…