Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mechanical filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I want to know if everybody here have worked by mechanical filters?
I want to know their performance as a high or low pass filter?
For instance as a high pass filter, Can I use them to filter out 39700Hz yet let a at least 40KHz and higher signals to pass through filter? A sharpness of say 30 to 40dB is good.

Thanks

What do you mean by mechanical filter? A tuning fork, for instance? What would your method of interfacing be: amp-transducer-filter-transducer-amp? Purpose?

In air-conditioning a damper is a filter

In engins oil is a filter (oil-filter. Sorry, my bad)

Having a sudden stop in a car is a filter (like in brick-wall)

Anything (well most anything) that resonates can be converted into a filter.

There used to be mechanical resonators, but they would be rather rare today

E

Last edited:
Collins used them for their SSB equipment.

THey were very expensive and hard to get

Hi,

Do you mean purely mechanical or electromechanical? Is the signal electrical or a mechanical vibration?

A crystal can be used as an electromechanical filter for example.

For a purely mechanical filter, attach a large mass to an object. The mass acts as a capacitance and can be analyzed in the same way as an electrical system. If you'd like more information about this, look up "spring mass damper" systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back