Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metal Detector without a kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Wilson

I am new to elect., but I am learning a lot.

I am going to build a metal detector, and I don't want to use a kit. I hope to get enough information to build a successful project. If my questions are not in line, guidence will not hurt my feelings.

What type of circuit would you use to send signal to a transducer.

Have you search the internet yet? I've seen dozens of websites with one or two metal detector projects. Some very simple, some with advanced features. Not really my thing, but I'd guess everybody has wished the had a metal detector at least once or twice...

Chemelec is a member here, and has a website full of various and interesting project, but I remembered he had quite a few metal detectors. Well worth a look, all are very well documented in great detail (should publish a few books...). Great site, plus you can get help here.

**broken link removed**

Scroll down until you find the metal detectors, there are several. If nothing else its very informative.

I suggest starting out by understanding the various types of metal detectors. You can choose VLF null, pulse induction, bfo, and other methods.

Howstuffworks has a basic description to get you started. Beware that the descriptions and diagrams are highly simplified.

Even though you don't want to build a kit, you really should start from a published project. You don't want to reinvent everything.

Don Wilson said:
What type of circuit would you use to send signal to a transducer.

Hi Don,

Just to clarify: a "transducer" is any device which converts energy from one form to another. A speaker transduces electricity to sound. A light bulb converts electricity into light and heat. Check this for more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

The circuit you would use to send a signal to one would depend upon the transducer in question, but in general you might call it a "driver".

Are you talking about how you should drive the antenna, or the buzzer/light/meter or whatever you want to use to indicate the presence of metal when detected?

Torben

[Edit: Oh yeah, and I second the suggestion to check out Chemelec's site. Good stuff.]

Don Wilson said:
you are all right of course just a little hard headed.

You're in luck. Chemelec's stuff isn't kits, just schematics and notes and so on. Personally I think a metal detector would be a tall order for a first project if you want to design your own. If you built one from his pages you'd have a better idea of what the various parts do and how they interact, and from there you could start thinking about what you might like to improve or do differently.

Torben

Thanks this is great. While I am ambitious I am not foolish. I will brouse around and learn a little more about the project I have chosen. Wont change my mind, but my next post will show a little more study.

It's not really such a bad first project, if you start with a simpler one. You'll learn a little more about what you might be getting into later on. You never really went into much detail on what you were looking for in this project. There are a lot of different approaches, as treasure hunting is something some people get obsessive, and their search for the ultimate tool, is almost as great as their quest for riches. Most I've ever considered was something small and simple to find a lost bolt when working on the car...

I am going to purchase a whites metal detector in the near future, for my metal detecting needs. I chose a metal detector, because I am not into radio. I am a musician, so an amp. or effects pedals would also work for me.
What would really be great is if I could fix my golf swing, or make somekind of fishing bait with strobe lights, we could market those!!!!
That just about covers all of my hobbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back