Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

metal proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.
msovais said:
hey can i use 150uh inductor instead of coils?

I used the TDA0161 and commercially available unshielded, open "bobbin" inductors, such as the Miller power inductors (Digikey p. 1216, P/N M8573CT-ND), with inductances of 470 and 1000 uH and got very good detection at 1 cm, and decent detection at up to 2 cm. My target was a 3/16 steel rod. A larger diameter coil might give more range. John

jpanhalt said:
I used the TDA0161 and commercially available unshielded, open "bobbin" inductors, such as the Miller power inductors (Digikey p. 1216, P/N M8573CT-ND), with inductances of 470 and 1000 uH and got very good detection at 1 cm, and decent detection at up to 2 cm. My target was a 3/16 steel rod. A larger diameter coil might give more range. John

Not All Coils and Cores are EQUIL.

A Pot Core with Litz Wire will give the Best Results.

Range is Also Dependent on the TYPE of metal being detected. Sorry I won't comment on Specific ranges, but it is Not Made to detect at any Great Distance, No matter What you do.

chemelec said:
A Pot Core with Litz Wire will give the Best Results.

The results I gave were intended only as a brief summary of a series of experiments I did. Those experiments looked at oscillator frequency (28 to 60KHz), inductance, wire (Litz vz. magnet wire), and free-air resonance frequencies of the coils. At the frequency ranges tested, Litz wire made no difference. I also tried a few pot cores and got virtually the same results.

Thus, using small coils of the size described and 3/16" wire (hard-drawn, high-carbon music wire) and under the conditions of my experiments, the TDA0161 can be depended to provide good sensitivity up to 1 cm, and usable sensitivity up to almost 2 cm; however, to get above 1.5 cm, the settings are a bit "touchy."

On the other hand, with a two-coil detector (basically a Zircon metal detector -- a reverse-engineered schematic is available on the internet), I got sensitivities of 5 cm or more.

John

jpanhalt said:
The results I gave were intended only as a brief summary of a series of experiments I did. Those experiments looked at oscillator frequency (28 to 60KHz), inductance, wire (Litz vz. magnet wire), and free-air resonance frequencies of the coils. At the frequency ranges tested, Litz wire made no difference. I also tried a few pot cores and got virtually the same results.

Thus, using small coils of the size described and 3/16" wire (hard-drawn, high-carbon music wire) and under the conditions of my experiments, the TDA0161 can be depended to provide good sensitivity up to 1 cm, and usable sensitivity up to almost 2 cm; however, to get above 1.5 cm, the settings are a bit "touchy."

On the other hand, with a two-coil detector (basically a Zircon metal detector -- a reverse-engineered schematic is available on the internet), I got sensitivities of 5 cm or more.

John

Never seen that Zircon Schematic.

But if you want distance, why not just build a Good detector and get 10 inches or more on a Quarter.

Take care...Gary

chemelec said:
But if you want distance, why not just build a Good detector and get 10 inches or more on a Quarter.

There was a size limitation in the design. It had to be less than 0.75" across. Eventually went with back-scattered IR.
John

chemelec said:
Never seen that Zircon Schematic.

Take care...Gary

hey can i get some idea or schematic to build 10 inch or so detector using tda0161 because 1 cm or 2cm are very much less....
...wat will be the values of inductor and capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back