Methane powered generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
seasons greetings from the land of gold:Ghana.
I want to try to power my generator with a methane gas because there is plenty of waste lying around my neigbhourhood .
I already know how to build the pit aka digester,which will produce the methane gas
But i know next to nothing about how to power my 1HP generator set with the gas.Does anybody have any idea about this.
I have read somewhere one need something like a compressor/centrifugal blower to pump/blow the methane to the generator.
There is so much refuse in my country but this is seldom harnessed .

Last edited:
You will need a carburetor for the engine capable of using methane gas. And, as you noted, you will likely need some sort of compressor to force the gas into the carburetor.

Perhaps this video will give you some ideas.

It may not be necessary to pressurize it if you can produce it as fast or faster than the engine will consume it.
Most small engine carburetors can be modified to work as simple vapor units with only a few minor modifications.

The main jet, idle jet, and related mixture screw assembly's need to drilled out considerably over sized and the entire float system is removed as well.
What you are doing is just making the original fuel flow path much larger so that the less dense vapor fuel can easily be drawn through by the normal venturi effect that those small carburetors use to move the liquid fuels through them.

When done properly the carburetor will produce a very slight vacuum on the supply line so all that needs to be connected to is a container or supply source that can produce enough of what ever type of fuel you are producing. Ideally that source should also have a simple flash back arrestor of some type between it and the carburetor.

Most of these modifications require nothing more than a drill and some small drill bits. The rest is just trial and error sizing and adjusting to fine tune the set up.

Gasifier Honda V twin, Fuel Auger

I think another one would be the "Gasifire". I never knew anything about them until I watched an episode on the History Channel.

I guess they were popular around the turn of the Century as they didn't have a defined fuel source yet.

Oh, and shouldn't this be in the Renewable Energy forum ?

Edit: Here's a guy trying to explain it. He's not a Scientist but, doing his best help with the process.

How Gasification is possible

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…