Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Metrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
I know, what?

I stumbled across an interesting series of articles about converting to metric:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...mDAhFpjKi9lsnnltA&sig2=2-JMm-257Qu5NbVPHuTqdQ

In terms of me I'd like to share a few things:

One time I was replacing a blower resistor in a car and the fastener was metric, but the only tool appropriate for the job was a swivel socket. An adapter would not work. I didn;t realize at the time that an English dimension was so close, so it too much longer to complete the job.

Machining metric stuff was hard when you didn;t have say metric mills to go with it. I don't mind working in mills or 0.001 inches.

I still don't have a good feel for metric dimensions because the English one are so close to body parts. e.g. the foot.

Metric speeds and distances have not caught on at all yet and one road near me was all metric, bit they changed it back.

I don't like metric and English fasteners on the same thing. That was a problem with automobiles and disk drives for a while.

I didn't like having to double everything - metric sockets. English sockets, metric screwdrivers and the metric adjustable wrench.

For fun, when I'm ask how tall I am, I say 5'12" and one time someone thought that 5'12" was taller than 6 foot. It's fun to tripp up a medical professional.

I absolutely HATE the metric units for pressure. The numbers are just WAY too big. I'd rater 32 PSI for tires and not some ungodly uniit of KiloPascals. Torr and milli-torr aren't too bad.

One of the biggest eye openers was trying to figure out what there were so many bolts on a vacuum system flange. I don;t quite remember the values, but it was something like an 6-8" port has like 760 PSI of force on the port. Now you know why there are so many bolts along the flange. See conflat flange: https://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=2250 e.g. 14.7 lbs/sqin adds up fast. Area of a circle is PI * R^2

This is why I would not try to plug a vacuum leak with those systems with your fingers.

Gardening is a pain, when 3 teaspoons is equivalent to 1 tablespoon. Mixing problems are tough. e.g. Spread 2 oz of chemical for 1000 sq ft when the chemical can only be sprayed in certain fixed amounts per gallon, so you have to pre-dilute the solution you start with, So, you want to spray about 10 gallons of the mixture to cover 1000 sqft. Yuk!! I solved that problem easy enough by finding a calculator online and adding a battery powered Gallon meter to the garden hose. The only problem is, I bup the reset button if I'm not careful.

I'm also not crazy of the unit UNIT. e.g. 10 units of U100 insulin. There exist U300, U200 and U400 insulins, but currently not syringes designed for it. U100 insulin has 100U of Insulin per 1 mL of volume.

I digress a bit...

Lab training videos are always useful. They can show the dangers and devastation. Doing a Job Hazard analysis of a particular job really helps.

I have heard secretaries, nurses, and other support people say more than a few times that metric is "more accurate." That always brings an inner smile. I think that is because they have been mistaught or have only looked at rules divided in 1/16 versus 1 mm. As a hobby machinist, I may point out that machining is typically done in thousandths or tenth's (0.0001). In metric, at least in the USA, the most common small "unit" is 0.05 mm. That equals 0.002" (approximately). So, as a matter of practice, the common units for the English system are more precise. Except for flexible tape measures, most of my rulers are marked in what we call "16R." That is, one side is in the familiar 1/8,... 1/2^n and the other side is in decimal units, including both 0.02 and 0.01. The latter is getting harder to see.

In the early 1970's, I had a Ford Pinto. I believe the engine was made in Brazil and was metric. It was not uncommon to find that American mechanics would grab and SAE bolt and cross thread it. As I recall, one common error was to use a 5/16x24 to replace an 8 mm x 1 mm metric. It was a loose fit and worked, at least until you drove a few miles and whatever that bolt was holding came loose.. The color coding of metric in the US has helped.

Bottom line, I am comfortable working in either system, so long as I know which one is being used. I actually prefer working with metric when dealing with volumes and weights/masses, but prefer English when dealing with machining.

John

Reminds me of a joke..

An engineer sitting in his car at some road works watching an Irish road worker with a pneumatic drill making his hole..

The engineer winds down his window and talks to the Irishman.. "Do you know! In a way we both do the same job! I drill holes to within a thousandth of an inch!!" To which the Irishman said. "Well you'll be no use here! These holes have to be spot on!!"

Sorry to crash the thread Kiss!!

The Pinto was exactly the car I was talking about. The only parts were English and the engine parts (for the most part) were metric. My parent's owned the 2300 cc engine, I think, or the one with the cam oil holes that were too small. I had the car up to 90 mph. Very scary. fastest ever I had a car was 115 and the fastest I've been in a car was 125 mph.

Ours was like a '72, and it burned the cam. So I replaced the cam (no manual, of course) and discovered that the bolt for the cam pulley was drilled clear through to the oil passages. That was a quick fix. I suspect our experiences are somewhat parallel. Not one of Ford's best products IMHO.

John

The numbers are just WAY too big. I'd rater 32 PSI for tires and not some ungodly uniit of KiloPascals. Torr and milli-torr aren't too bad.
How about Bar, would Bar suffice you? IIRC 15PSI is roughly one bar, no ungodly numbers there.
But you are right that 15 pounds per square inch is a lot easier to wrap your head around than 10 tons per square meter (should that be tonnes? is there a difference?) .

Who in their right mind would mark that gauge 5,000 to 20,000 kPa? That guy is either insane or never understood how the metric system works :O
BTW why don't they write 20000000Pa straight away? That would be SO simpler to read :D

You do realize that you use the SI (metric) system every day when you do any calculation in Electronics. Thank goodness they invented the SI system before they discovered electricity or we'd be discussing resistance in units of drag per square foot or some other equally insane unit.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back