Micro-switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manufacturer does not rate this mircoswitch for use on DC.
If you were to use this in a commercial product, that would be a very bad engineering and commercial decision.

With regard to your "project", is this just an academic project for school or college?
If it is you will probably be ok if the low voltage DC current is less then 100mA @ 24volts.

Otherwise, find another microswitch.

Jimb

Thanks for helping me. Yes i need this for my coll project so i think this might work.
Today i had went to stores and saw a micro switch. On the micro switch input and output they had mentioned 120V DC . Does this mean i can't use that micro switch for less then 120V DC like 12V ?

Does this mean i can't use that micro switch for less then 120V DC like 12V ?
No, that is the maximum voltage.
Anything less than 120v is OK.
Anything over 120v will result in destruction of the known universe.*

JimB

* A worse case estimate!
Probably the switch will not work for very may operations and burn out.

No, that is the maximum voltage.
Anything less than 120v is OK.
Anything over 120v will result in destruction of the known universe.*

JimB

* A worse case estimate!
Probably the switch will not work for very may operations and burn out.

I had this in my mind but wanted to confirm from a more experienced person. Thanks again.

A high current (5A) switch probably has silver contacts that corrode then don't work when a low voltage at low current is switched. The spark from a high voltage and high current breaks through the corrosion.
I always used gold plated contacts (it costs the same as silver) that are rated for a low voltage and low current for switching low level signals. They even work perfectly when there is no current.

Thanks for the info sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…