MicroC with ISIS Proffesional

Status
Not open for further replies.

harebosi

Hello

I have been learning how to design with PIC and on my way I decide to use the Free(demo) version of MicroC for writting the source codes and I use ISIS
Professional for simulating the written codes with the schematic circuits from ISIS Professional.

When I write the code it compile well (on microC) and the hex code generated is not greater than 2K( which is the maximum amount hex code the demo version of microC can generate). When I link the hex code and the circuit from ISIS Professional and simulate I got the following ERROR MESSAGE

ERROR: [U1] Error reading file [Testcode.hex] at line 31: Program location 0x2007 is out of range for operand 0x3FF9.
[DSIM] BOOT Error.
Real Time Simulation failed to start

U1 is PIC16f84.

Whats is the problem? I really need help on this from you gurus of PIC. Can I have another tool for simulating the circuit before I implement them on hardware?
Thank you in advance
I present.

MPLAB is the simulator from MicroChip, it's free, so why not use that?.

I would also strongly suggest you don't use the antique 16F84, it was replaced by the 16F628 (better spec and cheaper) last century.

Isn't 0x2007 the location of the configuration bits? Pretty stupid simulator if you ask me. An operand of 3FF9 sure looks like configuration bits to me.

Papabravo said:
Isn't 0x2007 the location of the configuration bits? Pretty stupid simulator if you ask me. An operand of 3FF9 sure looks like configuration bits to me.
Ya, you're right. Seems there is no problem with the configuration setting.
Ask gramo, he has experience in ISIS

Papabravo said:
Pretty stupid simulator if you ask me

lol, I guess you do not own the Simulator/Development suite... Protues is probably the best on the market, hands down.

harebosi, can you attach your code and .dsn file? I'll have a look at where you went wrong. It's probably something very simple

It is true that I don't own the simulator. There are at least two ways to specify information that is outside the traditional code space.
  1. Use dedicated statements in the source code
  2. Specify it in the programmer
Microchip tools clearly favor the first alternative, and the simulator should be smart enough to treat the configuration bits as configuration bits or the simulation is...sub-optimal shall we say.

The error message itself is really stupid. The simulator is assuming it knows better than the tool that generated the object file. What hubris! If you don't know what a piece of data is about you should issue a warning, say you don't know what to do, and go on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…