Microchip MRF24J40 vs XBee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

How does the MRF24J40 complete stand-alone module compare in performance to Xbee?

I see they are a similar niche, with standard-power MRF24J40 modules selling for $10 on Mouser compared to $20 for Xbee. Xbee claims up to 100m LOS range, MRF24J40 400m. I saw Xbee saying 1mW, MRF24J40 spec says 3dB transmit power which should mean 2mW. The range difference cannot be explained by power alone, so either MRF24J40 has a much more discriminating receiver and better antenna or one of these is being overly optimistic or pessimistic about its estimate.

MRF24J40 looks like the clear winner, but I've heard a lot more about people using Xbee. Am I missing something important?

Last edited:
Well the XBEE module is truly agnostic to what the user is interfacing to, small or large pin device, Microchip, AVR, or?, as long as it speaks RS232. The Microchip MRF24J40MA interface will be off module, with a Microchip device, using a Microchip C compiler, running the Microchip stack of choice. Kind of like apples and oranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…