Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller/5 V relay interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsey.jack

Hello everyone,

What I thought was going to be an easy project is proving to be more of a learning experience than I anticipated.

Intended operation:
- PIC microcontroller feeds a +5 V signal to a transistor.

- The transistor allows current through, putting ~ +5.5V across the relay coil.

- The relay opens.

Actual operation:
- The circuit continually draws current (approx 25 mA) from +9 V battery even without a +5.0 V signal from microcontroller.

- Only a few volts are put across the relay coils when the transistor receives the +5.0 V signal. Most of the voltage (approx +7 V) is across the transistor!

The relay trips perfectly fine when I short out the collector and emitter leads of the transistor.

The transistor works perfectly fine when a +5 V source, LED, and resistor are connected to the collector lead instead of the relay.

Am I doing something dumb here?

View attachment 61372

The 5 volt relay has 56 ohms. 90mA
The transistor needs to switch 90mA C to E.
The base has a 10k resistor. 5V-0.7V=5.3V 5.3V/10k=0.5mA
Ib=0.5mA Ic=90mA so the current gain is 180mA which is too high.

Try changing the 10k base resistor to 3.3k or 2.2k. This will turn on the transistor better.

Last edited:
^ Yes, the 2N2222 is starved for base current, that's why it isn't turning on.

But the question about the "off" current is a little puzzling - what's the voltage read on that port pin when you are sending it a zero? Is there any difference between the way the emitter is grounded and Vss? You aren't messing with a TRIS register and making it an input, are you?

Last edited:
The circuit continually draws current (approx 25 mA) from +9 V battery even without a +5.0 V signal from microcontroller.
Try connecting 10k from the transistor base to ground, to ensure the transistor turns fully off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back