Microcontroller backup power

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian25

i want to interface this schematic to the arduino and this schematic works for AAA 6v battery backup but my problem is where to interface the triggering pin of arduino just to know when the main power is off. plss help.. tnx

Last edited:
I'm presuming this is only a partial diagram?, as all the essential capacitors round the regulators are missing.

For detection you could add an extra 1N5402 between C1/2 and R1, and detect the voltage on C1/2 - it would be a good idea to move C2 to the R1 side of the new diode as well.

no, this is already working and i will use this on my proj.

When the main power is off and the backup battery is working the voltage in C1/2 and R1 is same that the backup battery produces. i tried to move the battery in between of D3 and U1 and the voltage i get in the C1/2 and R1 is the same.

how to isolate the mains supply and the backup battery but still i can get the notification from the microcontroller when the mains power is Off?

Last edited:
You could connect the anode of another diode to the transformer secondary then connect the cathode via 100k or so to the micro.

no, this is already working and i will use this on my proj.

Add the missing components - they ARE essential - assuming this is a marked project?, any competent examiner would seriously mark you down for such a basic error.

While it make work to some extent, and some of the time, it's likely to be unreliable, and to oscillate under certain loads. They are shown in the datasheet for good reason.

thank you sir.

just want to ask. what is the purpose of the caps around the regulators?
i get stable voltages without those caps..

thank you sir.

just want to ask. what is the purpose of the caps around the regulators?
i get stable voltages without those caps..

They are to prevent oscillation - without them it will almost certainly oscillate under some load conditions.

What is the purpose of R1? Are these rechargeable batteries? That's what's keeping the voltage on C1 and C2 when the power is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…