Microcontroller Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baberjaved

There seems to be something wrong with one the dsPIC's i have... The programmer seems to read and write to the controller successfully without any problem but the chip doesn't seem to work at all in a circuit. Is it dead or is something else wrong with my circuit (which was working fine previously)?

You have provided absolutly no information on what is going on with your circuit or chip or changes you've made to hardware or code. In short, no one can answer your question.

i am sure..

hi..

i am sure.. the circuit might be having some problem...

some pin is not getting voltage or other may not be grounded...

but.. try to reset it again and again.. till it works..

it it doesnt works then.. surely..

the microcontroller is having some problem...

Remember.. " ever thought of programmer having a problem ? .. but very less chances are there "

Regards,

Simran..

simrantogether said:
" ever thought of programmer having a problem ? .. but very less chances are there "

Regards,

Simran..
The odds are are higher then you would think.

The microcontroller works fine when i debug it in my development board using ICD but it doesn't work when i plug it into my own circuit.... Maybe's its coz of a faulty cap or something.. how do i check

Can anyone give a schematic just required to run the PIC Mcu.. is it same for all of them? Also what should be the values of the capacitors used in the circuit.. do they matter?

I've not used dsPIC's, but there are 16F examples in my tutorial hardware.

Post your schematic.

I assume you program it out of circuit as MCLR is tied to power.

Which dsPIC is it, is the powersupply well regulated and filtered?

Post the pinnumbers too.

It might just be me, but alot of the problems I seem to experience when working with pics (not dsPIc),
comes from faulty wiring or dodgy chinese breadboards!

When the pic doesnt seem to be working, I make a simple circuit (and firmware) to test whether or not the pic is working at all.

I.e pulse one of the ports, and nothing more. This allows you to scope the port and see if your pic is executing instructions properly.

Last edited:

Good advice. The "blink an LED on and off" should always be the first program attempted to validate any new programmer/development board/etc. Just too many things that can be wrong with a new unproven set-up to jump straight to a more complex application program.

Lefty

indeed. reduce the amount of variables.

baberjaved said:
Heres what i am doin

Please understand. you are telling general things. till now you have not indicated any Chip number. For any dsPIC there is a datasheet that fully describes how to use it. i suggest that you may download the concerned datasheet and have a detailed study.

Meantime try to put the hardware schematic that you are using for your design -- also please indicate whether you have a PCB layout or used a general purpose Board-- or a breadboard. because thease issues do matter. clocke oscillation methodology is important subject matter and Microchip themselves have published specific articles and dedicated subsections for each chip in their datasheets.

for example , breadboarded circuit would behave erratic at these frequencied -perhaps same may be the case with dsPIC.

Yeah we need a lot more info!!

But...
When you tried to run without the ICD attached, did you program it with the Programmer or Debugger tab? The Debug tab will load the Debug Executive and you can't run it without an ICD attached.

You MUST install a resistor between MCLR and Vdd. I don't know how you programmed without it.

If it's the 33F be sure you have the specified VddCore cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…