Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannon701

Does anyone know any stores that sell these that aren't online, such as wal-mart, radio shack, best buy, etc... And what is a cheap $60 or less microcontroller? What language does it use c++ or java?

I am just wanting to get into this stuff.

It would help if you filled in your location and explained what you want to do with them. The cheapest ones are around the 30c mark.

Mike.

UnitedStates - Tennessee; I just want to be able to use the output pins and what not being able to delay when it outputs and do some loops. For example a blinking led.

I don't know of any "walk in" stores that sell microcontroller kits, You pretty much have to buy online. The programming languages most often used are Assembly, C (not C++) and Basic. There are lots of different "brands" sometimes the language you want to program in determines which microcontroller you use.

For $50 you can get the **broken link removed**. However, I don't know where you can buy it "walk in".

Mike.

Last edited:
Here is TI's comments on using C++ with their compiler. You would have to expect similar limitations for other compilers.

Sparkfun is supposed to be selling some of their stuff in blister paks for retail display, but for which outlet or store? Radio Shack used to sell the Basic Stamp kits. Go online and get the real deal.

Hi

When I wanted to get into the MCU area of electronics I went for the PICAXEs. I'm not sure what the programming language is, it is a high level format, similar to C.

The programmers are REALLY simple (2 resistors, cap and a plug) and I built mine from a bucket of bits lying around. If you went and bought a kit it would probably cost around $20. The chips themselves are about $3, for the 08Ms.

The chips themselves have an inbuilt debugger, that means that you can view the variables (and I think the pin inputs as well) on the computer. That is really handy when your just starting out.

I started off with the PICAXE 08M, then moved onto the more advanced ones.

Here's their main website. I strongly suggest that you take a look at them before going any further, they are very good.

Have fun!!

Tom

Last edited:
The only brick and mortar chain on a national scale I can think of is Radio Shack who sells a complete basic stamp kit for $99 as seen in the link. It does have everything to get someone going including a book, however, using online ordering the possibilities are endless. Before buying it is really a matter of deciding which family of microcontrollers you want to start with and learn a little about. There is no shortage of tutorials out there including some hosted by forum members here.

Also, per tom_pay SparkFun Electronics has a good line of stuff to get going. They are great to deal with and buy from.

Ron

Last edited:
I went with Picaxe also and have had a ton of fun learning the Basic programming language. There is also a kit from Arduino that looks very fun and has a little more "power" than the Picaxes and is just a step below going to C++ and learning that language. Once you get beyond the BASIC langauge into C and it's variants you will have to select a chip family and pretty much stick with it or change the flavor and learn something else new. I love the Picaxe even though it is not very highly held I have learned a ton and have had one or two pretty fun projects come out nicely. Definately want to look around and see what options fill your particular need, then order from an online source like Spark Fun and the many others in the game. Good luck with the decision and the projects...
Bob

Well today, i bought a bread board an ir emitter and receiver and some aligator clips for stuff. The rest of my supplies are some wiring that I have had but never used still in good condition. And about 6 leds some resistors and some other stuff. I am using a usb plugged into my bread board for endless power or until my laptop dies that way i dont wast 9v batteries of course all my math in voltage is 5v but oh well. The led's resistors and stuff like that are all scrap pieces. Is that a bad thing? I have tested them and they seem to be fine but would you suggest not using them?

The only brick and mortar chain on a national scale I can think of is Radio Shack who sells a complete basic stamp kit for $99 as seen in the link. It does have everything to get someone going including a book, however, using online ordering the possibilities are endless. Before buying it is really a matter of deciding which family of microcontrollers you want to start with and learn a little about. There is no shortage of tutorials out there including some hosted by forum members here.

Also, per tom_pay SparkFun Electronics has a good line of stuff to get going. They are great to deal with and buy from.

Ron

I snagged one of those for half-price a few years ago.

I just figured out how to make an led fade out and am working my way out. Anyone got a cheap short term project that can show the use of transisters as an and gate?

Nah, used parts are a good thing when you can get em. I harvwst a lot of parts and goodies from discarded consumer electronics. Most of what I get is used, but once I test it and it checks good it goes in a pill vial till I need it later on. Through hole is actually getting a little harder to find but it is still available enough to make scrounging worthwhile if you have the time. So heck yeah, use the scavenged stuff as often as posssible and have fun with the rest
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back