Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontrollers, DSPs, FPGAs, and PALs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

I am curious about the differences between Microcontrollers, DSPs, FPGAs and PALs. I have a general idea with everything except Microcontrollers vs. DSPs. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Expanding out the names helps.

Digital Signal Processor. Exactly what it sounds like, they're designed to
process large amounts of precision data very fast.

Micro controllers, equally descriptive, they're meant for basic input such as buttons knobs dials and switches and output such as for transistor or other external device control.

As Micro controllers get faster and faster they keep adding more peripherals and instructions to the point where they're starting to blend together. A modern micro controller can do what a DSP could do a few generations ago.

And like the DSP PIC line it's basically a step outside of normal micro controller roles. I wouldn't even consider the DSP Pic line a PIC. Just like I wouldn't consider the AVR32 line an AVR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back