Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microcontrollers Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hesam Kamalan

Hi there,

i want to design a network with some microcontrollers. but i don't know witch one of wired or wireless is better.

i want to use mynetwork in house area and i want ti control Lamps, Package, Windows, Temperature and so on.

please guide me.

One of your "free books" is copyrighted. You could get in serious trouble (I have that book too).

If you do not have written permission from the company you are in trouble!

Krumlink is right. Those books are still under copyright.

Torben

He would need written permission from all (if not most) of those authors.

Thanks now I feel better about the one book he had that I own :)

There you go. As for your networking, a wired version will be much easier to do than wireless. You could use I2C communication between microcontrollers but I have never tried that.

Thank you guys,

How about voltage?
i think if i use I2C or SPI with 5v, i have lost volatage on long wire (assume that i have 100m wire).

how can i solve this probelm?

For data comm you would want non inverting buffers.

i want to use mynetwork in house area and i want ti control Lamps, Package, Windows, Temperature and so on.
Look into the X10 system. It is designed to use the house wiring for controlling lights and appliances.
3v0 said:
As long as the TX and RX buffer are of the same (inverting or not) it does not matter. Inverting twice is the same as not inverting.
Yes. Only in digital electronics does two wrongs make a right. :D

X10 is the "easiest" to implement (not easiest to develop) as you do not need extra wires around the premisses, you use existing power grid.

If you do want to lay down wires, the 1wire communication is pretty simple to implement, all you need is 1 wire to make a bus (actually, 1wire + ground). On the bus you can connect different devices (temperature monitors, switches or even your own uC based device)

1wire bus is slow but, simple and does not need too many wires

i2c is another choice but length might be the problem

Anyway, if you plan to do "smart house" project, I strongly suggest you get as much info as possible about X10 as there is software and hardware you can get pretty cheap (and also some devices that are darn expensive) ... and there are nice examples for DIY on the net

ramblings about home PIC networking

Perhaps a mix of wired and wireless, or even IR is best...

If wire can be used - that's best.

But then I2C or SPI - is one more noise immune than another? Do either do more like "differential" in which 2 signals are driven apart and together so the DELTA between the 2 wires is the signal, without regard to ground? (thus avoiding "noise the bumps the voltage in both").

https://www.xs4all.nl/~jwasys/old/diy4.html#irphone

is an interesting idea of carrying a 38KHz IR remote carrier via PHONE LINES, in case they happen to be in two of the rooms you want on your network!

Other tricks could be used - but you need a carrier to go much higher than audio on the audio lines, and of course if you have DSL (which I believe already does this) you can't do it.

Has anyone experience with differential drivers/receivers? Trouble is you need differential voltages - unless you invert the bits +/- then -/+ on the wires, rather than reference to ground.

Should be an interesting discussion to follow.. I'm intersted in the idea of PIC networking too - including such things as IR to detect someone (don't want to turn the TV way up if someone is sleeping), wireless to send from a base to some remote computer to turn it on, maybe the darn basement water sensor, etc. I already have some wireless X10, but not interfaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back