Microwave Radio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Django Fawkes

I am looking to recreate a microwave radio device from US Patent No. 4,877,027 of which here is a link:

https://www.google.com/patents/US4877027

To save reading all of that, refer to Fig 1 which provides an overview flowchart of the devices functionality and a succint summary is provided in the Apparatus subsection of the Description which in other more detailed words describes of how the microwave generator is model no. PH40K of Applied Microwave Laboratories, which acts as the signal source. The cable connecting the microwave generator and antenna is RG8 Coaxial Cable available from Belden Industries, the antenna maybe a standard parabolic antenna and finalizes by saying the the fm modulator has to be specially built to include the spacing runction which is obtained by a frequency generator built into a "srandard" fm generator. (I assume they meant "standard").

Basically, I have plans to create a homemade version of this device, however, I need as much input as possible before I proceed.

Firstly, I need to gain some clarification as to the microwave generator as it appears that either Applied MIcrowave Labs is no longer available or if they go by another name, no other vendor seems to have that model number with the appropriate model.
So I am now at the predicament where I have to find another microwave generator without paying stupidly expensive prices. The patent author specifies that the microwave generator should operate at the safe 1,000 megahertz. I would like the oscillator/microwave generator to be in the "safety" zone, however, realistically, I am willing to accept anything between 100mhz to 10,000 mhz.

So getting to the point: Does anyone know what would be the best place to find an ideal solution to the generator, I have my eye on a few on ebay such as this one, which is dirt cheap despite being over the safety limit of 1000mhz:

**broken link removed**

But I thought I should ask first as I do not want to be buying the wrong thing and wasting time and money as I am not very savvy with physics and truly do not fully understand the patent. On which note, is the 1000 mhz safety limit for a good reason or can it be stretched for the slack of us?

Lastly, I also would like to ask as to whether a software defined radio could act as a way to both modulate the frequency and generate the pulses and therefore I could use my computer to send information to it and use a USB mic to speak into it and even if I cannot control the pulse, is there any way to have the sound output of my computer be outputted in this microwave device. I'm thinking Arduino if not Software Defined Radio?

Thanks in advance.

What a lot of nonsense!

I suppose that I had better back that statement with some information.

1000Mhz is NOT some hard and fast safety limit.
The problem is the power at that frequency. The relationship is not simple or universally agreed.

The most dangerous part obout the milli-watt oscillator in your link would be if you swallowed it and choked on it.

A "parabolic antenna" will NOT work from 100 to 10,000Mhz. I am not sure that there is ANY antenna which will work across that frequency range.

Does the patent give details of the power required to induce "sounds" into the brain?
At a quick read of the extract I did not see it quoted.
(On second reading of the full patent I see that the peak power appears to be 5watts,
you are going to have to spend some serious £££ $$$ to get a suitable signal generator which may be FM and pulse modulated at such frequencies and power.)

Radiating RF power at just about any random frequency in the range 100 to 10,000Mhz is going cause problems to numerous legitimate users of the radio spectrum. They will not appreciate your wild experiment vomiting across the spectum.
Or, were you intending to conduct this experiment in a proper screened room?
No, I thought not.

Are you really going to attach a microwave antenna and transmitter to your head?
Yes!! Well what can I say?
"There's nowt as queer as folk" as they say is Yorkshire.

All in this is just madness.

JimB

Don't ask me a question and then answer it yourself and don't give me an answer filled with personal bias.
I asked to recreate a device, what I did not mention was the purpose for doing so, neither did I mention the safety precautions I would take or for that matter what legal advisors I would go to once I had formed a workable idea.
If you slow down for a moment, maybe you had not considered that I am trying to form a workable concept of a plan I would then look into the appropriate safety measures and seek legal advice before making any attempt to make this device, furthermore, I intended to make this device to gain a way to which to manipulate microwaves which I was not going to use to beam at anybody, but was instead going to use it for a different purpose than the patent owner may or may not had.

So here's a question which may not enable you to project so much of how you would screw up in the same circumstance:

"Is there a way which I can modulate the frequency and pulse of a microwave oscillator."

More comfortable with you?

"Is there a way which I can modulate the frequency and pulse of a microwave oscillator."
Yes.

How you would do it depends on the type of oscillator.

Depending on the resources available to you, some suitable oscillators (signal generators) may be seen here:
https://www.surplus-electronics.co.uk/index.php5/en/Products/6382
These are all second hand.

You will also need an amplifier to give the signal some power. The average signal generator only puts out a few milli-watts.
Have a look here to get you started.

This stuff is all brand new and will be a bit more expensive.

Once you know what to search for, you may well be able to find more suitable and maybe less expensive equipment by looking on the internet.

More comfortable with you?
Yes, I am very comfortable.
Thank you for asking.

JimB

Ok, thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…