Mike preamp and cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ventura

Hi, guys. Unfortunately, I need to connect a microphone to a DVR surveillance system in order to document some intermittent-but-persistent harassment outside my home. The DVR’s audio input is a simple RCA jack and requires a preamp. I have built some electronic projects, and may try to do a simple preamp, but I don’t know much about mics and cabling. I have one mic, a dynamic “Ampex 2001” with 9’ of cord terminating in a ¼” phone plug, or TS connector. I have read that, with an “unbalanced” signal such as this the cord length should be kept short in order to avoid picking up noise. However, I may need to locate the mic 20 or 30 feet from the DVR.

Q: If I were to locate the preamp near the mic, might I get away with then running the amplified signal another 20 feet or so to the DVR? It seems like the noise problem wouldn’t be as much of an issue after the signal is boosted a bit. What do you think?

And I’ve been looking here and elsewhere at circuits for a preamp. I’ve seen a few, but I’m not sure which one would be the correct one. I don’t need anything fancy, but I think it needs to be appropriate for a low impedance mic, have an unbalanced input(?), fairly high gain (60dB?), and not introduce too much noise. Does this sound about right?
In my dreams I also hope for it to be fairly simple and inexpensive.
I’m not asking much, am I?

Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks.

I Would recommend this Preamp:
**broken link removed**

And I would also recommend you use an Electric Condensor Mic.

The DC Supply for the mic can come from the Preamp Board. But Remove the 47K input Resistor.

Thanks, Gary. Yes, your preamp design is one I was looking at. I'm curious about a couple of things on it. That RIAA Cnotation in the lower right corner an abbreviation for "Recording Industry Association of America-compliant"?

Ventura said:
Thanks, Gary. Yes, your preamp design is one I was looking at. I'm curious about a couple of things on it. That RIAA Cnotation in the lower right corner an abbreviation for "Recording Industry Association of America-compliant"?

Yes, What About it?

I Origionally designed this for Magnetic Phono Cartridges, thats why the 47K input.
Also for both Record and playback for reel to reel Tapes and Cassettes.

Just about any Record or Playback curve can be achieved on the board. But a flat response is also easy.

The Supply voltage can be from about 6 volts to over 40 volts with only minor changes.

Ventura said:
That RIAA notation in the lower right corner an abbreviation for "Recording Industry Association of America-compliant"?
Remember old vinyl records? They were played with a low level magnetic pickup. The records were equalized with the standard RIAA equalization curve and the phono preamp had the opposite equalization created by those optional parts.

Sorry, guys. This follow-up question of mine wasn't supposed to be posted. I started to type up a couple of questions and must have accidentally hit a "post" button without realizing it.
My electronics skills, such as it is, is pretty rusty, but I have figured out some of the answers on my own. I'll look into this some more and see if I need help with it.

Thanks for replying. You guys are good people to help out the way you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…