Minimize Ripple in Rectifier by Waveform, Polarity, Bridge-Type, Inductor, Trafo?

In a rectifier and RC filter, which combination of waveform, bi-polarity, inductor/cap, and transformer-type will give the least ripple in the output?

My source is 100 kHz AC supplying a transformer. I have control over the supply voltage, wave shape, and polarity, over the transformer type, and over the rectifier / filter design. This question is about how to minimize ripple through selection of those parameters.
My load wants 5V @ 3A (after the filter).

Assume there is no regulator involved. Just AC source, transformer, rectifier, filter.

This isn't for safety. My source is already isolated from mains. This is for operational needs.

Ie, how is ripple affected by:
  • an AC source that goes negative on the troughs, vs an AC source that only goes positive, never below 0v?
  • sine vs square source?
  • pulse transformer vs non-pulse transformer?
  • full-bridge vs half-bridge?
  • Use an inductor in the filter? Or just a cap?
ChatGPT says:
To achieve the least ripple in the output of a bridge rectifier and RC filter:
  • Use a bipolar AC source (e.g., a sine wave) rather than a unipolar one, as it results in a higher ripple frequency. [specifically, 2 x f-in]
  • Use a sine wave input rather than a square wave for a smoother, more manageable ripple. [specifically, no harmonics]
  • Use a standard non-pulse transformer designed for power applications rather than a pulse transformer. [i need to understand more]
  • Use a full-bridge rectifier instead of a half-bridge rectifier to take advantage of the higher ripple frequency produced by using both halves of the AC waveform. [specifically, 2 x f-in]
(also asked on EDA Board, EE Web, All About Electronics)

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…