Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MINIMUM or MAXIMUM gain in LM3886?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.power

Hi guys,

I just want to know why in the page #20 of the LM3886 they say that the calculated gain is the MINIMUM of gain to get the expected output voltage and hence the output power (the equation #8 I mean) which they want the IC to reaches to by the said gain???! I myself think it should be the MAXIMUM of gain and any gain bigger than that will not do any help other than making you to lower the input voltage....

Sorry plz somebody enlighten me because I am getting so confused about it!

They have an example in page #20 and 21 too. Please take a look at it, They calculated the gain in the example to be 12.6 but say that it is the MINIMUM of gain!!! I think it is the exact gain or at least the MAXIMUM of gain which can causes almost 12.6Vrms at the output (17.9Vpeak) if the input happen to be 1Vrms (or 1.414Vpeak), (although they did not mention if the input level i.e 1Vmax in the example is the rms or peak, But the calculated gain seems to clear it as the RMS value)

Thanks.

Equation #8 is just the gain required to get the desired output voltage for a given input voltage. It is stated to be "minimum" because any gain lower than that will not give the desired output for a given input. It has no further meaning than that.

Equation #8 is just the gain required to get the desired output voltage for a given input voltage. It is stated to be "minimum" because any gain lower than that will not give the desired output for a given input. It has no further meaning than that.

Thanks, it makes sense. So the said gain is minimum meaning that the input volatge is maximum at the said gain so that we get the desired output voltage/ Power. So it gives us a view regarding the maximum of input volatge, which If we exceed that input voltage the output goes to saturation/ Clipping, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back