Minneapolis bridge collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was designed to handle three times the load 40 years ago and since then the load has doubled and the bridge has deteriorated to the point where it can only support 1.99 times the original load then it's not surprising that is collapsed.

It is PAINFULL to know the accident. while it is easy to criticize,

I only wonder whether the structure did not give any advance indications,-- these are better known to the concerned maintenance engineers. and perhaps a retrospective study may be already under way- these results will be useful to take care of similar old structures and for preventive measures.

i again feel sad for the type of accident and the loss to life (if any) and injuries to many travellers involved in the accident. I pray for their fast releif back to normal health.

Some bridges in Europe, are well over 100 years old. The problem with Canada or the U.S., is everything is built by the lowest bidder. Now don't be surprised when you have imminent results like the one in Minneapolis.

hjl4 said:
Some bridges in Europe, are well over 100 years old. The problem with Canada or the U.S., is everything is built by the lowest bidder. Now don't be surprised when you have imminent results like the one in Minneapolis.
I feel,while lowest bidder 's work can be at question, ther is no guarrenty that higher bid will do a better job- by the way 100 years is too long and the various goverments may have to plan for replacements - of the slabsfixed over the pillars- while try reinforce the pillars themselves.-- ageing doesn' spare any country, however powerful....

China's bridge collapse is again a sad issue.
Sarma

hjl4 said:

Are these bridges we are talking about little brick archway bridges? Or the big steel ones that are suspended across rivers?

dknguyen said:
Are these bridges we are talking about little brick archway bridges? Or the big steel ones that are suspended across rivers?

I think a clue might be in the time frame mentioned - 100's of years.

The worlds first metal bridge is still standing, and a tourist attraction, at Ironbridge - bit of a giveaway the name! it was built in 1779. So I suppose hundreds of years could apply to metal bridges as well?.

100 years is nothing for a bridge, building or road etc. The Americans really do have a different perception of what's old than we Brits do.

hjl4 said:
The problem with Canada or the U.S., is everything is built by the lowest bidder.

Do not forget the problems that come up when the contractor donated to some elected officials re-election fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…