MOBO broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

vitormanuel

Hi,

this is my first post, I have searched the Internet but have not found much information about this ...

I bought a MOBO in eBay 2011/11/17 and I received the MOBO on 2011/11/29 but till today I have not time to checked the MOBO ...

I've been to mount the computer (I already had all the components) when I see that the MOBO has a broken corner ...

I contacted the seller but I want to ask ...

Can the MOBO work well even with that broken corner...???

**broken link removed**

Thanks in advance...

Best regards...

If it works at all it will work well. No telling what other traces are on the 5+ layers of that motherboard though.

I would file the edges before testing it, in order to prevent any internal layers shorting. That's if there are any in that region.

If the hole is not plated through then I doubt it has intercore power planes brought that far to corner of board. It will likely be okay.

edit, scratch that.

On closer examination there is a bunch of parallel top side runners. You can see the outer most chomped off with copper land hanging out.

It's toast. Send it back.

Attachments

• dsc04654w.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The header closest to the hole looks like front panel audio and seems to be where the tracks are coming from. It's possible you will get off lightly and the board will work apart from the front panel audio. But as I said before, if you're going to test it, tidy up the edges first.

Looks like some of the traces going to the AAFP header (AAFP, Analog Audio Front Panel) or Front Panel Audio Header are bad so the header may not work. The internal power traces may also be bad even shorted. Cheak power header for shorts before powering up the MOBO.

And again... This is all guess work, cause all you can see is the top layer, and it's probably a 5 layer board..

Hi, Thanks to all... and sorry for reply to late...

The eBay seller wrote me and told me first to claim for damages to the Post Office... I told him no trace of the MOBO in the bag, I think that was already broken when he send to me the MOBO. I want to wait and see what I said before filing the MOBO, I do not want to hurt more the MOBO ...

My fear is the damaging maybe make a short-circuit... Is it safe power on a MOBO with this broken corner...?

Thanks for all in advance... Best regards.

If you didn't insure it through postal service a claim won't do you much good, I would immediately return it to the e-bay seller and report it as a negative feedback to the seller, there's no way that damage like that could be caused during shipping if there is no debris in the package.

Powering the motherboard is at your own risk, I doubt it could cause a fire or anything more likely it will just cause it to not work properly but I wouldn't trust a motherboard that's had this kind of damage done to it there's no telling what the traces in that area do because again motherboard are many layered devices, considering it's near the edge it might work, but then again it might not. Plug it in and try if you want but I wouldn't keep something like that.

My fear is the damaging maybe make a short-circuit... Is it safe power on a MOBO with this broken corner...?
You can use a meter to check for shorts at the power connector.

Looks like someone pryed it up diagonally from datum reference post in the computer chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…