Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modify the phone protector - OPTOCOUPLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberAle

Hi all...

I have the circuit of figure 1. The work fine... When I hooking off de phone, one led is turn on.

Well... Now, I try to modify this circuit, like figure 2. I want put an Optocoupler (I try with 817) and connect TX with RX of PC's serial.

The idea is: when hook off the phone, the optocoupler "close" and connect the PC's serial, but do not work...

Does Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

• filter.gif
    filter.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 950
For a start you have the LED in the opto-coupler connected the opposite way to the LED in the previous diagram. You should use a bridge rectifier to feed the opto-coupler, to make it independent of line polarity.

Secondly, the output of the opto-coupler doesn't look to be doing anything very much, you would normally need a pull-up resistor and an HT supply.

Both circuit wrong. Parallel the 7uF! condenser with line kill the ringing signal, and the speech also wrong. Cross connected LEDs cannot work, 100 ohm serial resistor too big.
Use opto with FET-switch output, the LED-side with antiparallel diode and parallel 470nF condenser (seriel with line) will work.
If You apply a bridge - as Nigel suggested - no need the the polarity marking.

Attachments

• filter_105.gif
    filter_105.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 919
Thank both...

The circuit is a comercial protector of line phone... And this work... If is wrong, I do not now...I am only trying use of opto...

I will try make the Sebi's sugestion... Do you have a code of opto with FET-switch?

Thanks again!

Sebi,

I made the circuit you passed to me, but I used a LED to test only... The circuit work fine!! Thank you!

Now, I have a big problem... In my country (Brazil) I am not finding the H11F1, F2 or F3... No body has...

Do you know anyone other to make the same job? Can I use a relay or a reed switch with an "electromagnetic field" (figure attach)?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• reedswitch.gif
    reedswitch.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 775
Yes, the relay also work fine, if can pull with about 10mA. Don't forget the parallel 470nF...1uF capacitor.

Sebi,

It is me again...Sorry! :oops:

I have a small problem: when the phone ringing, the opto is switching... I do not want it...

Do you have any suggestion?

PS: I am using a bridge diode... In this case, Will I need of the diode in parallel of the condenser?

Thank you!

No, but always need the capacitor, it is almost shortcut for AC. The ringing signal is 100V 16Hz, off-hook state about 12V.
If not helped, You need an additional circuit to detecting the ringing signal. With this signal possible disabling the off-hook detector. Maybe need also some delay for output.

I never tried it, but probably work...
The PC817 will respond only AC signal, and discharge the delay cap when ringing.

Attachments

• ring.gif
    ring.gif
    4 KB · Views: 725
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back