Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying a cheap PA Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrol01

Hey, one of our Auxiliary Police units ordered a cheap siren from a popular 3rd party website (That E one..) for their patrol car, and it works "fine", but the quality of it, well... Cheap, and it doesn't sound like the standard here, heck one of them sound like a car alarm....
Since they work so much with us, I decided to try to upgrade their stuff a bit, and I even found the "proper" sounds on our provider's website.

That system has two parts: The siren head, and the handheld controller unit with 7 buttons for each tones, and an extra button for the "PA system" for the microphone, but that's also bad quality.
They're connected with RJ9 or RJ11 (I can't really decide) the male end on the siren, and the female end on the controller itself.
The behavior of the buttons are pretty simple too: Press / Hold button -> Set tone plays through the "speaker".

Although I've seen the internal parts of the controller, it has an unnamed microcontroller on it so I don't really want to tamper with it. In the end I want to either create another similar circuit that is capable of playing my mp3s (multiple at once), or would a simple RJ9 (female) to 3.5mm (male) cable be enough for, like phone audio output?

How would you guys jump on that project?

siren.jpg IMG_6552.jpg IMG_6553.jpg IMG_5242.jpg IMG_5241.jpg IMG_6555.jpg IMG_6554.jpg

I think buying the "real" one would be out of their budget.
I've returned the head unit since, and I'm not sure if I can get my hands on the horn itself, but I'll ask.

Thank you for the reply! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back