Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Most Common and Best PIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidOrb24

Hello,

I'm new to micro controllers and I was wondering what is the most common PIC out there that has the most features.

I heard the PIC 68F84A is good but I just don't know.

Also say if I got a PIC with 18 leads and then later down the line I got a different one with 18 leads and has a different pin out, would I be able to use the old programmer to download the code to the new chip?

Finally can anyone point me in the direction to a store or website where I can buy the PIC as well as the hardware and compiler to get started? and for that matter what hardware do I need to program the chip?

Sorry for the questions I'm just really lost out because there seems to be so many PIC's.

Thanks

The king of the 16F series in 40 pins was the 16F877A
Don't use the 16F84A anymore. Use a 16F628 instead or better yet my personal favourite 18pin the 16F88 (both are cheaper than a 16F84A)

How do you know which one to get...There are so many I don't want to get the wrong one.

Are all the 18 pin ones compatible with the software and hardware to program it?

Thats another thing if I buy one am I stuck with it for the rest of my life as far as what I mentioned above with the software to program it and hardware or is there a universal PIC programmer.

Hi,

When asking where to buy parts it helps to provide a general location, at least the country you live in. The info here is US based.

I buy parts from Mouser, they seem to be the least expensive. I used to like DigiKey.
PICs use 3 lines to program the chip. MCLR, PGC, and PGD. They are always in the same position for chips of a given pin count as are VCC and GND.

I agree with Bill that a 16F88 is a good 18 pin chip. From Mouser the PIC16F88-I/P is $2.99. Each microchip series uses a different tool set but they all work with MPLAB. The assemblers are free from microchip. Several vendors offer demo version of their compilers that are limited in some way. Most are limited in that they will only generate output of some given size. Most often 2K IIRC. Microchip has a student version of the 18F compiler that can be downloaded.

In regrards to a programer I suggest you use ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming). To do so you need an ICSP connector to you target board(s). To program run a short cable from the programmer to the board. It saves wear and tear on the PICs pins.

If you have an ICSP connector you can also connect it to an ICD2 clone debugger. If you can solder enough to build a kit take a look at Bill's inchworm kit on his site.

HTH
3v0

Last edited:
LiquidOrb24 said:
Hello,

I'm new to micro controllers and I was wondering what is the most common PIC out there that has the most features.

I heard the PIC 68F84A is good but I just don't know.

Also say if I got a PIC with 18 leads and then later down the line I got a different one with 18 leads and has a different pin out, would I be able to use the old programmer to download the code to the new chip?

Finally can anyone point me in the direction to a store or website where I can buy the PIC as well as the hardware and compiler to get started? and for that matter what hardware do I need to program the chip?

Sorry for the questions I'm just really lost out because there seems to be so many PIC's.

Thanks
Looks like you are so sensible for sound.PIC16f88 will suites for your future projects.B'cuz its having more A/D channels with a wider bit rates & some serial port interfaces.

I like the 12F683 - limited pinout, 8 pins, but has an 8, 4 MHz all the way down to 250KHz internal oscillator with no OSCCAL issues and a lot of features. Has 3 timers, PWM capability, CCP (I'm not sure what this does - need to check that myself).

The processor really depends on what you want to do. Check it out.

Have fun.

Jess

blueroomelectronics said:
The king of the 16F series in 40 pins was the 16F877A
Don't use the 16F84A anymore. Use a 16F628 instead or better yet my personal favourite 18pin the 16F88 (both are cheaper than a 16F84A)

You might also try reading my tutorials, which explain the reasons for choosing the PIC's I based them on - admittedly well before the 16F88 was released, but I would probably still have chosen the 16F628 for the tutorials because it's slightly less complicated. However, the tutorials all use the 14 bit cored 16F series, and the 16F88 could be used for them with VERY slight changes.

I think u should go with PIC16F877A(8 KB Flash memory, 40 pin) cuz later when u will be expert u need more pin count more memory for ur projects.

If someone has mentioned this earlier then ignore this.

If you plan to do all your coding in assembly then ignore this.

If you do not mind buying a compiler then ignore this.

It makes sense to look at the free/demo version of available compilers first. Then choose a chip that will both do the job and has a compiler you can use for free.

3v0

My favorite PICS, 8 pin 12F683 (no ICD but ADC, etc.), 18 pin 16F88 and 40 pin 877A.

But if you do not need all the features they offer and just doing digital IO I would pick (no pun) 12F629, 16F628A and still the 16F877A. Also, look and the internal OSC/speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back