Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Moterized security cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMD

I work for a small company that buys pc's and pc peripherals, repairs pc's and pc peripherals, and then resells the stuff that can be salvaged/repaired/reconditioned. We also install small to medium networks.

We have recently gotten involved in selling and installing pc based security cameras that can be viewed from anywhere on the internet. The most common request we get from our customers is cameras that can pan, but when we tell them the cost of such cameras, that's usually the end of that.

Given the business we are in, I pretty much have an unlimited supply of small to medium DC motors that I can take from printers and hard drives. I'm not worried about working out the mechanics of mounting the motors and figuring out gearing and such, but what would be involved in getting these things to respond to signals coming from the internet? I'm very familiar network protocols, packets and such, but not so much the technology used to decode and interpret packets.

My knowledge in electronics is limited at this point, but is growing everyday, I'm just now getting into learning assembly and micro controller programming. If I can figure out a way to do this, I could easily demand more money at work, so this is not something I'd give up on just because I needed to do some serious study to make it happen. I'm also pretty solid on java programming.

One Idea I've had:
Use a bluetooth transmitter connected to a pc, write a java program that would connect to a remote pc and send signals to a bluetooth receiver connected to a micro controller that would control the movement of the motor. I figure this would be possible to set up with my current knowledge and with a little learning, but I'm not sure the cost would be all that much less then buying motorized cameras in the first place. Also, this is not something I'm looking to mass produce, at most I would probably be called upon to do something like this every 3 to 4 months with 3 or 4 cameras.

Thanks for any help guys,

Keith

A more elegant solution would be to EBAY your surplus hardware
and then purchase ready made model servo units this would allow tou to use "off the shelf" hardware and freely available circuits along with code snippets I suspect as well, givingyou a product that can be readily duplicated.

I like this idea, but the guy I work for is the worst small business owner I have ever met.

I have tried to bring up to him the value of some of the parts we have just lying around, you wouldn't believe how many dead laptops we have with good LCD's in them, but he doesn't think the time to get them out, post them on ebay, and ship them, would be justified. I have even tried to explain that a guy with a hammer and a screwdriver could produce many times as many dollars in electronic components as he would need to be paid, but he won't go for it.

Just to show you how sick this guy really is, he won't sell the stuff to me directly for a fair price because, and you will love this part, then he would lose out on the money that he doesn't think my plan would produce.

Sorry tansis, I misread your post the first time through, I thought you meant; use the money from the free crap we have laying around to buy the motorized cameras in the first place. I see now that you were talking about pre-built servos. I would keep that as an option but how do I control them through the internet?

ADDED AFTER:
In other words, can someone point me in the direction of where this kind of info can be found, I've tried to google a bit, but I don't really even know the right words to put in my search.

ANOTHER ADDITION:
this whole plan is totally in it's infancy, right now I would be thrilled to death if someone could get me started on the right path. I would love to be able to turn a motor, located at my shop and connected to nothing but a power supply and a cable coming out of a router, on and off from the PC at my house.

Thanks again for hints or tips,

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back