Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor driver won't drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Walker

I decided to build an H-bridge motor driver out of transisters, since I have half a dozen TIP41c's and 42c's. Before I did, though, I breadboarded a single TIP41c hooked up to the motor I was planning on using; basically just a switch. It would't drive it at all, though the same set-up worked fine with a smaller motor.
The one I want to use comes out of a 6v power screwdriver. I measured the stall current at about 4 amps and unloaded current at 400 ma. Seems like the TIP 41c should handle that, though maybe the stall current is making it fail to start?
Any help?

if it can drive a small motor and not a bigger one your TIP' base current is not enough , with its current gain of 40 you must drive the base at least 100mA to run 4 amps load, don't forget to put diode for back emf in your motor

I had the same problems.I used schematick H-bridge driver with FET transistors. Works much better.

penoy_balut said:
your TIP' base current is not enough , with its current gain of 40 you must drive the base at least 100mA to run 4 amps load
Its minimum current gain at 3A is only 15, and then it will have 4V across it. Its current gain is less at 4A. If you want it to saturate properly then use a base current of 400mA like the datasheet shows for a 4A load.

Boris said:
I had the same problems.I used schematick H-bridge driver with FET transistors. Works much better.
Yes, MOSFETs are a much better idea, you get lower saturation losses and lower drive requirements, so your driver will be >95% efficient rather than <85% efficient.

audioguru said:
Its minimum current gain at 3A is only 15, and then it will have 4V across it. Its current gain is less at 4A. If you want it to saturate properly then use a base current of 400mA like the datasheet shows for a 4A load.

it could have been a different datasheet that i have looked to, thanks audioguru :)
i think Tracey should try darlington connection for his TIPs for higher current gain

Last edited:
No, try using MOSFETs.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back