Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor for sweeping the laser beam..!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatbuddy

Can anyone suggest a motor for laser sweeping..?
That must meet the following requirements..

Angle of orientation - 360 degree,
Weight of the laser - 2.5 to 3 kg,
Rotations or revolutions (Whatever it may be) - 360rpm.

Waiting for ur responses..

Can anyone suggest a motor for laser sweeping..?
That must meet the following requirements..
Rotations or revolutions (Whatever it may be) - 360rpm.

Wow, 360 RPM, that would be pretty fast. Is this for your leveler project? I don't understand the need for a fast spinning motor. But I will not question that.

Better yet, it would be helpful if you nail down your RPM, current, voltage requirements. A brief description of what you are trying to do might also be useful for would be respondents...

What do you need to "sweep" ? a DC motor is a good simple line generator.

Hmmm i need to sweep the laser beam in 360 degree such that the Reciever must reachout the signal continusly..

Power sources -- 1) 4 "D" alkaline battery pack
2) Optional NiCd rechargeble battery pack
3) AC charger with optional NiCd battery pack..

RPM --> 600 rpm approximately

It must be a DC motor..

Don't spin the laser. If you spin the laser then you must also deal with rotating connections for laser power etc. Plus the motor needs to be large and will consume a lot of power.

Instead, spin an angled mirror. Bounce the laser beam off of that. The mirror can be very small and light, and a small fast motor can then be used. And you don't have to worry about getting power to the laser.

Is this for a school assignment?

Torben

True, I made this little laser project awhile back for an art class...lol
It just used mirrors.

Attachments

• lasadraw.jpg
    lasadraw.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 145
  • laserpict.jpg
    laserpict.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 134
True, I made this little laser project awhile back for an art class...lol
It just used mirrors.

Hey, that's very cool. Did you also design the box?

How did you control the pattern?

Torben

Hey, that's very cool. Did you also design the box?

How did you control the pattern?
Torben

It was real simple. I controlled the patterns by changing the speed of each mirror/motor. If I was cool, I would have made it PIC based with preset motor control speeds. It actually reminded me of that old toy Spirograph.

My art project required a stand up speech, demo, and a tribute to a famous artist. I chose Master Leonardo.

I designed the whole thing. The box was actually a wine box marked opus. Thought that was cool for the folks into the da Vinci code...

Last edited:
Oh ho its not for School assignement..
Why do u people always blame me?
Anyway i will not post anything right now..
Thanks for ur valuable time being to look at this dirty topic..

OK then.

Whoa, chill out there. What on earth are you talking about? Nobody is blaming you for anything. Nobody on this site, in any thread you have posted to, has blamed you for anything. Unless you're somebody who has previously posted and then registered a new username, I don't know what you're so paranoid about.

Again: my suggestion is: Don't spin the laser. Spin a mirror. Did you have anything to say to the suggestion or did you just want to complain about imaginary attacks on you?

Torben

People ask because they do not know you. We get enough people here asking for help with school projects tha twe have to ask.

This is only you 15th post. It is the first time I have read one of yours and I would have asked the nasty school question if Torben had not.

Once you start asking questions about a subject/project it is good form to ask additional questions about that project in the same thread instead of starting a new one. It helps people know what you are doing. This is your third regarding lasers so I suspect (an not sure) that it would have been better to stick to one thread.

Torben gave you some very good advice regarding spinning the mirror. First surface mirrors seem to be the way to go.

Last edited:
Mikebits gave you some very good advice regarding spinning the mirror. First surface mirrors seem to be the way to go.

Umm, actually that was Torben. Hate to take credit for someone else... :)

Your correct, only front surface mirrors will work.

Fixed that in my post. Noted the change in the reason for edit. Thanks.
Senior Moment :)

Ah, pshaw. Your not old enough to have senior moments, movements maybe, but not moments :)

Back to original post. GB, could you try to explain what it is your trying to do, and as I asked before, is this part of your laser level project.

No one is pulling the rear end of your skivvies, so if you take a deep breath, and consider for a moment that we are just having a bit of a time understanding what you need.

What we need from you is to be clear and consise as you can in what you want. That way your questions will be answered in a manner as you hope.

We are able to work through langauge barriers and eventually we can muddle our way through, but at the same time you must have patience as do we. The more info you can provide the better we can help you.

And remember that if we do have language problems then patience will be needed. Okiday:)

Last edited:
Fast rotating laser

Hi Greatbuddy,

if I were you I would consider not to rotate a laser of 2 to 3kg of weight for a few "minor" reasons:

- for up to 600rpm! you'll need a powerful motor with a heavy reduction gear
- these 2 or 3kg require thorough and highly accurate balancing, static and dynamic. (Otherwise your laser will start "walking" :D )

The second point will be hard to achieve. You can't put the laser into a machine designed to balance car wheels - and manual balancing will require lots of patience and experience too. (I used to balance industrial fans (up to 2.5m diameter) manually and it took about 2 to 4 hours to get a fan balanced so it wouldn't vibrate)

I've seen rotating lasers in the construction business and all of them use rotating mirrors rotating at a max speed of 60rpm.

So following the advises given you'll be well off.

I couldn't detect any offensive remark in all of the posts. So it's now you who has to explain what you believe what you were blamed for. (Might not be correct English. Blame in on the fact that I'm German.)

Hi Torben,

you can get wonderful patterns if you attach a tilt drive to the mirrors. :) like the itsy bitsy steppers of a 3 1/2" floppy disk drive, making it possible to write your name onto the wall. :) Spit on the laser from time to time for sufficient cooling. :D

Regards to all

Hans

Last edited:
Ok thanks for ur suggestions..
I can go for sweeping mirror,

Actually my requirement is to sweep the beam 360 degrees such that
the reciever must respond every then a second.

So i need to rotate the laser beam atleast once in a sec and the reciever should respond for that and give the output.

Thats my requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back