Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor-pendulum

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesla

Hello guys,

Just let me know if this is true that a dc motor with a pendulum on it's axle is an electrical equivalent of a parallel LC tank?
If so what it means? Can we use a motor-pendulum in a circuit instead of an LC tank?

Thanks

Well, a motor with a pendulum could be made to oscillate and so can an LC tank but they are not exactly interchangeable. Why would you want to use such a device in place of an LC tank?

It's not equivalent, might exhibit some of the same effects under certain conditions but 'equivalent' is most definitely NOT a word I'd use to describe it.

Hello guys,

Just let me know if this is true that a dc motor with a pendulum on it's axle is an electrical equivalent of a parallel LC tank?
If so what it means? Can we use a motor-pendulum in a circuit instead of an LC tank?

Thanks

You mean a mechanical equivalent ? :)

Just take a look at a spring, mass, damper system. That has the same equation as an LC tank with a little resistance too. Dont need a motor.

MrAl, I think he's talking about using a mechanical device in place of an LC tank, this couldn't be done iwth a spring/mass/damper system as there's no way to introduce the effect on the electrical system, the motor/pendulum interacts both electrically and physically however I might add that it's at a MUCH higher power level than you'd typically use an LC tank circuit at.

MrAl, I think he's talking about using a mechanical device in place of an LC tank, this couldn't be done iwth a spring/mass/damper system as there's no way to introduce the effect on the electrical system, the motor/pendulum interacts both electrically and physically however I might add that it's at a MUCH higher power level than you'd typically use an LC tank circuit at.

Yea, suppose you need to generate a very low oscillation (1 or 2 herz for instance) out of a Parallel LC circuit (in a royer oscillator for instance which an LC tank creates the oscillations of the circuit), Then using a motor pendulum is much reasonable than using an unreasonable massive inductor/capacitors, right?

I seem to recall reading about something similar (like two mechanically-coupled - via a spring - speakers) used for a reverb effect (back in the 1950s or 60s)? Not quite the same thing or meaning, but if something high-power is needed and pure electronics won't do it (or can't be don't at a low cost), maybe an electro-mechanical system could...?

Yea, suppose you need to generate a very low oscillation (1 or 2 herz for instance) out of a Parallel LC circuit (in a royer oscillator for instance which an LC tank creates the oscillations of the circuit), Then using a motor pendulum is much reasonable than using an unreasonable massive inductor/capacitors, right?

Hello again,

Well, motors dont turn without some reasonable amount of force either. There will be quite a bit of drag, and that's going to eat up the power in the pendulum pretty quick. There's also the non linearity to think about.
For a low frequency oscillator you would be better off just building a low frequency oscillator. Perhaps add a gyrator or something like that, or an inductance multiplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back