Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor v/s generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinke

whats the difference between an AC motor and an ac generator,especially in its architecture, if there are any?

as stated
All electrical machines can generate and all electrical machines can motor (hence why I don't use the term motor or generator, just machine)

difference is in the flow of power. Some motors are actually really good generators AND that is a real PAIN when you are trying to control them to high-speed

Most small AC motors can't be used as generators because the rotor isn't a magnet.

This is an advantage in most applications as it means you can't be shocked when you turn the motor off when the shaft is still spinning.

When I use my hand to make the motor move, i.e. rotate the axis, the multimeter detects some voltage from the motor's supply pins. Can this voltage be used for any purpose? What is the key difference in its design that distinguish a motor from a generator?

Of course you can use the electricity generated when you turn the motor's shaft.

There is no big difference between how motors and generators are designed an built.

Like I said above, there are some motors that won't work as generators; they are squirrel cage induction motors.

Well thats not strictly true Every machine can be a generator and/or a motor (yes even a squirrel-cage induction machine). How they can generate however is different.

A squirrel-cage induction machine needs its windings exicited for it to start generating (ie AC applied to terminal but shaft span faster then sync speed == generation). Likewise a Switched-Reluctance machine can generate but it needs it coils excited in a certain pattern. Basically they need an external power to be able to then generate (as opose to a PMAC machine)

ALL machines can generate and ALL machines can motor. How they perform in the role oposite to what they were designed for is key to how you can use it in that role

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back