Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motorbike Regulator - Will this work as replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainviscen

Hi all,

Bike is
50cc Suzuki RG50r 1985 Gamma

Day 1:

I was out for a cruise the other day. Suddenly all my lights went out!
Got home as bike was a lot slower...

I opened the seat to expose electrics and it stunk! I replaced the 15 fuse and the lights went on for a sec and then it blew again.

Next day:

So, today I unhooked all the leads, put in new 15 fuse. Then one by one connected them to see if the fuse would blow.
All was well till the last connection (see below) it blew before I even turned the ignition

**broken link removed**

I think that it is the regulator? There is some oily stuff coming out of it. Wiped a bit off and it thick and smells chemically so not oil

Day 3:

Emailing motorbike electronic places trying to find a part 3/6 replied so far. No part.
So also looking for alternatives.
Wonder if this will work?

Voltage Regulator Chinese scooters/choppers for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

**broken link removed**
pic faulty part removed

I have only a really basic understanding of electronics so help is needed before I break something.

In my mind i see the engine on making charge through coils. The charge is too high and AC? so the regulator is a resistor that drops the charge to 12V to charge the battery and provide support power for the lights etc.

:(

Thanks,
Edmund

The chemical is probably the electrolyte from an electrolytic capacitor that exploded.

There are many different electrical systems.

My old Honda CB125 used an alternator which powered the lights directly from AC and a rectifier and regulator to charge the battery.

My newer CB500 uses an alternator with inbuilt rectifier or a dynamo to generate DC which both powers the lights and charges the battery.

The only way to really find out is to measure it with a multimeter and even then it might not be accurate because most multimeters are designed for 50/60Hz and the frequency produced by the alternator will vary with the engine speed.

There are different types of regulators. How many leads does it have?

If it's just two then it's a shunt regulator. The generator is designed so it puts out a nearly constant current supply and the regulator is connected across the battery and off the extra power if the voltage across it exceeds about 7 or 14V depending on whether you have a 6V or 12V system.

hey thanks for your info.

It has two yellow leads coming from the generator/engine area,
one red lead that im sure goes to the battery,
and one that just screwed on top which i think is the earth cable
so four leads all up

Its a 12v battery so circut 12v.

"My old Honda CB125 used an alternator which powered the lights directly from AC and a rectifier and regulator to charge the battery." I think mine is setup the same way.

I think I will experiment with the chinese scooter part as I think it might work. Will post back here if it works/disaster strikes in a week or so.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back