Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MPLAB calc. program size

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMIM

HI

I'm have a PIC 16F628 - I think it can accommodate a program no larger than 128bytes (from data sheet) right?

In mplab - where can I find out the size of the program I have written.

Thanks.

GraveYard_Killer said:
i think the 128bytes you are referring is for the eeprom data of PIC16f628.

yes. I thought that is where the program you write is stored on the chip.

But anyway - how much space do I have for my program. And how do I determine how large my program is using MPLAB.

RMIM said:
HI

I'm have a PIC 16F628 - I think it can accommodate a program no larger than 128bytes (from data sheet) right?

As GraveYard_Killer said, the 128 bytes is the EEPROM data storage, the program memory is 2048 words - this is a LOT of assembler, you can do a great deal in a couple of hundred words. It also has the advantage that's it's a single page, so you have no memory paging problems.

In mplab - where can I find out the size of the program I have written.

Couldn't tell you?, I never use it, but the *.LST created by the assembler tells you.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Couldn't tell you?, I never use it, but the *.LST created by the assembler tells you.
Thanks.

Not sure how to work it though. Do you mean go to *.lst right click it and go to properties?

Just wanted to know how huge a program had to be to actually fill the mem.

RMIM said:
Thanks.

Not sure how to work it though. Do you mean go to *.lst right click it and go to properties?

No, open it with Wordpad, or Notepad.

Just wanted to know how huge a program had to be to actually fill the mem.

If you have to ask, then it's not a concern! :D

The 16F628 has twice the memory of the 16F84 it replaced, and it wasn't common to fill that.

Nigel Goodwin said:
No, open it with Wordpad, or Notepad.

Cheers.
--
All other memory blocks unused.
Program Memory Words Used: 81
Program Memory Words Free: 1967
--

For some reason my *.lst files have the microsoft power point viewer icon - when I double click on it locks the computer up. Works fine with notepad.

Just open up the .lst file from within MPLAB using the <file> <open> menu items. If you save the current project with the .lst file open it'll be there the next time you open that project. It's sometimes handy to have the .asm, .lst, and even the .inc file available in the project you're workin' on.

Mike

Attachments

• MPLAB screen shot.PNG
    MPLAB screen shot.PNG
    44.6 KB · Views: 281
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back