MPLAB can I default to COM instead of USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
The answer is yes you can, because mine defaults to the serial port everytime. Unfortunately I've just re-installed Windows on my machine and haven't put MPLAB back on it yet so I can't actually tell you how. I know that's not a hugely useful answer but at least you know it CAN be done, so you're not wasting your time trying!

In the meantime I'll be getting MPLAB installed back on my machine soon so, if nobody else has answered you by then, I'll give you a shout.

Brian

This came up here or on EDABoard last year (can't remember which). The short answer is "no", though one chap modified something in his Windows Registry (or something like that) to get his com port setting to 'stick'. I did not try his 'fix' because I didn't really understand it and I also didn't want to muck around with my Windows OS.

Mike

Hmmm that's strange, how come my version of MPLAB always defaults to the COM port then?

Maybe my version of MPLAB doesn't have an option for USB...

Brian

LOL. I can just imagine someone suggesting we should delete all our USB drivers in order to get MPLAB to default to a com port for the ICD2 instead of the USB (grin).

Mike

On a side note,

my laptop does not have an RS232. I need some sort of USB-to-RS232 adapter.

Would this work flawless for my ICD2 clone?

I bought a Dell Latitude D810 last year specifically because it had a serial port. But I'm still looking forward to building that USB-ICD2 clone just to eliminate the power brick (grin).

Mike

<added>

Actually, Bill's serial ICD2 design develops VPP from a 5 volt source and could easily be powered by the USB port.

Or you can modify a USB to RS232 and wire pin 9 (ri) via 1N5817. Then a simple wire from 9 to +5 on the Inchworm. I've done that.

Or better yet just power it from your project.

Well, I have a separate regulated power supply that I bought so I am good there.

But would ANY USB to COM adapter available at local elec store work?

Mike said:
Bill, someone told me you can't pull power from some of those USB-to-232 adapters.
That's why the big 10uf caps. Some of the newer MAX232 (with the 0.1) have wee drivers and may not like to have much current drawn from them.

The old & cheap Ti232 that wanted the 10uf in the first place can deliver the small amount of current required to get VPP up to >12.

Check out the doubler Aprrox 18v on the USB / RS232 with programable VPP. You've seen the schematic before I'm sure. It even runs it through a LM317

Attachments

• VPP max232.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Opps had the wrong USB - RS232 in mind lol.

You're not supposed to, most USB ports have max 500ma and many less than that.

I usually run my ICD2 emulator from target power

OR

I've found a local source of 5V 2.5A switchmode powersupplies. Tiny & cheap for $2 from Sayal in Toronto (or $5 from Active Surplus on Queen). Work like a charm with power to spare.

The 7805 was on request from Creatroninc, give students a wide range of power supplies to use.

PS what I'd like to do is build a port powered opto isolated RS232 driver. Then I can play with putting a 16F628A with new firmware in a CM11A (X10 RS232 adapter with a 16F84)

**broken link removed**

PPS I hate X10 garbage, I really like ZigBee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…