MSP430F2013 powered and communicated using USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

adinogcas

Hi all,

I am working on a scale system that is powered and communicated with PC using USB. The system I am using has MSP420F2013 from TI. I am kind of new with USB stuff, only used serial to USB converter before not building one. I am reading about FDTI USB chip but not sure which one is the right one and which one is easy to build. And I am wondering which USCI mode I should use, I2C or SPI to do a communicate.

Is there any suggestions on the design? Any help would be much appreciate.

Thank you,

FT232R is the generic FTDI USB->serial chip. There are schematics in the datasheet for how to use it with different powering options.

You would use neither I2C or SPI, you would use a UART. The MSP430F2013 doesn't have USCI, only the more basic USI. You'll probably want to use a model with USCI for the UART.

You would use neither I2C or SPI, you would use a UART. The MSP430F2013 doesn't have USCI, only the more basic USI. You'll probably want to use a model with USCI for the UART.

Thanks for replying! A little confuse here, according to MSP430F2013 datasheet (d/s), it has USCI in SPI or I2C mode. It does not have UART... What is USI and what is a difference between USCI (Universal Serial Communication Interface) and USI?

Since it does not have UART should I use some SPI-USB chip?

Attachments

• msp430x20x3.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 231
This is the datasheet for the msp430f2013. Read the feature list.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/07/msp430f2013.pdf
Universal Serial Interface (USI) Supporting
SPI and I2C
(MSP430x20x2 and MSP430x20x3 only)

The user guide for the 2xx family has all the useful information in it and fully describes USI and USCI. USI is a very simplistic hardware block and it's just as easy to bitbang SPI and I2C as it is to fiddle with USI to try and make it easier.
**broken link removed**

USI does not have UART ability, but USCI does, that's why I suggested using a more capable controller with USCI. Otherwise you are going to need to use a bit banged UART.

If you want help with MSP430's, the MSP430 yahoo groups mailing list is very active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…