MTTF of circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ah MIL-217, that brings back memories ... I used to do that on paper with the spec in hand! use a bigger transistor. the failure rate is based on junction temperature and duty cycle, at least in the real thing. the formulas make assumptions that are bypassed in the real spec if you know the junction temperatures and the programs might be assuming full load.

a true application of MIL-217 includes environment including ambient temperature, heatsinking, atmosphere, and vibration as well as the type and quantity of solder joints as well as complexity of ICs.

Dan

You probably have as good a circuit as you are going to get. Your problem is you have 12,000 of them. The relay is on par with a single transistor so adding a complex ic won't do you much good. How good are the mechanics? How do you get power to them.
Lets say each part had a life of a million hours. 5 parts gives you 200000 hours per assembly. divide that by 12000 and you have a failure every 17 hours. Is that good enough?
My bet is you will do 10X better than that if failure is defined as the led doesn't blink at all.
Again, you have some risks that may be far worse than the intrinsic failure rate. Loosing 25% of the lights due to a manufacturing defect (lets say a broken seal on the relay) would be a lot worse for the project.

A search in Digikey turned up this photointerrupter from Digikey for 17.5 cents each in 10,000 quantities. You would need to add an NPN transistor stage to invert the signal so that the LED turns on when the gap is interrupted.

There likely are other photointerrupters available for a similar price.

I would be very interested in seeing which one you found...

I think the link "this" should be highlighted and in bright red (like I show) so it is easier to see.

I think the link "this" should be highlighted and in bright red (like I show) so it is easier to see.

Well, it wasn't. On my screen it is barely discernible.

This discussion has been very helpful to me. I started out with a reed switch, and while I was aware, in a general sense, of the existence of Hall switches and photointerrupters, I had not known how small and how cheap they had gotten over the years.

After this last suggestion I will run a few tests with photointerrupters and see how they work for us. The reliability seems to be better than reed switches in any case.

Photointerruptor, outdoors. San Francisco????

On the north side of a building, operating at night only, in an installation which extends from 20 to about 170 feet in the air. It is a public art project, an error here or there wouldn't matter.
I will prototype the set up and let you know how it goes.

Certainly, the default highlight color for links is not very noticeable. Changing the highlight to red as Uncle $crooge noted is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…