Multi Channel ADC with buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhall

I am trying to find a multi channel ACD IC that loops though the inputs and stores the values in a buffer. Then I can request the stored value from the buffer for the input I require at the time.

I have read many data sheets and it looks to me like they do the conversion at the time of the request and do not store the value ready to read. Is this the case.

Ray.

Look at the various data acquisition interfaces for a PC, like these.

A lot of the PC interfaces store the samples in a ring buffer, so the sampling can be controlled at a fixed sample rate, but the samples can be taken out of the buffer in bursts. As long as you dont get a buffer overrun, then the samples are periodic, and no samples are lost.

Last edited:
Mike,

I am looking for a IC component to use on a PCB, and not a data logger.

Then how about a PIC or other uController (built in ADC, Ram might be a bit sparse, you get to control sampling/buffering)?

Mike,

I am using the Atmel XMega. This has 12 x ADC inputs. This is not enough. Also I am a bit short on I/O so using 2 x 8 channel external ADC would help a lot.

If I can find one that stores the conversions rather then doing them when requested I can save some time (cycles) that can be used for other more important jobs.

Ray.

Have you looked at Analog Devices? It seems they had some Data Acquisition System on-a-chip parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…