Multi Chip Programmer (Layout Checking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylon

Hi there, I remake the layout of this **broken link removed** so it's more suitable to build on veroboard.

Can anyone check if my circuit is correct (working exactly the same as the original)?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MultiChipPgmr-Cct.gif
    13 KB · Views: 677
  • MultiPGM0001.png
    13 KB · Views: 1,198
It's another variation of the JDM PIC programmer, just be aware these can be tough to get running on modern PCs. The original schematic looks like the one from Talking Electronics.

The problem with any JDM is that you first have to have a serial port. If you do have a serial port it may not provide the voltage need to provide a usable VPP. If you use a USB to serial adaptor the chances of it not working are good.

If you want to build a simple programmer build a parallel one. There are several out there. I think Nigel mentions one in his tutorial series.

A PICkit2 or Junebug are even better because they work at USB speeds, use Microchip firmware, and both act as ICDs (In Circuit Debuggers). They will also function as a simple 3 channel logic analyzer.

Yeah, that's the programmer from Talking Electronics. None of my local electronic shops sell any PIC programmer, so I had to build one myself.

I've looked a few parallel PIC programmer before but there are some components that I couldn't find at my local electronic shops.
The Multi Chip Programmer is the only one that I can get all its component.

I've measure my RS232 output voltage level, it's maxed out at about 8V. The Multi Chip Programmer should be usable because it use some trick to get 13V from the 8V input:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

The problem is I want to build it on a veroboard, so I redraw the schematic which will ease my work, but I just need other people to recheck the schematic before I solder anything. I'm still new in electronics, so help is needed

The original schematic is the one with yellow background and mine is the one with white background.

Skylon said:
So, is the schematic is correct? Anyone?

hi,
It looks OK, but as pointed out, they do work on all PC's.
As you maybe aware they are powered by the RS232 line voltages, which vary a lot from PC to PC.
Some PC's do not have high enough voltages to power the prommer correctly.

Some USB to RS232 adaptors also give problems.

Where are you posting from.?

Hi ericgibbs, thanks for checking. I'm posting from Malaysia.
At my city, there's not much electronic hobbyist, so it's very difficult to get a programmer. I got my PIC chip from another city, but they didn't sell the programmer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…