Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappaFX

Hi there, can you help me?
I want to join several push buttons. They function will by similar as radio buttons, but a want to add functionality ON/OFF for every button. For example:

press btn one -> one is ON
press btn six -> one is OFF, six is ON
press btn two -> six is OFF, two is ON
press btn two again -> two is OFF

I want to control six audio inputs with them. Simple ON/OFF button is in thread "Help With a JK Flip Flop", but I don’t know how join buttons together.

Thank. jiri

You can buy switches that do that. I think they are called gang or ganged switch. Try google on that.

You can buy switches that do that. I think they are called gang or ganged switch. Try google on that.

Hi Mike!

PappFX, I haven't found much on the net about where to buy them. I know that I have a few bouncing around that I got from a magic grab bag a friend gave me, and I've seen them for a buck apiece in a bin at Main Electronics in Vancouver. Maybe an electronics shop, ham swap, or something would be a good place to look. And when I say "electronics shop", I don't mean Radio Shack or something--I mean a local shop, if there is one you can get to. If you fill in the "location" information in your User CP, it will be easier to say where you might want to look for components.

The ones I have don't have the ability to go to all off when the currently selected button is pressed again, although you can get all of the buttons to pop out by pressing one of the other buttons lightly (like any old car radio).

I really like the action on the ones I have and I'm looking for a project to use them in (but that's another topic).

Torben

They might be custom order type switches. I have seen them at surplus stores and such.

They might be custom order type switches. I have seen them at surplus stores and such.

Yeah, that sort of place. I get the feeling that the ones I have are either reclaimed from old equipment or overstock on a product that was end-of-lifed.

Torben

Thank for advice. I don't want to buy final solution. Switch will by part of equipment. I think, that good solutions will by PIC16F84.

jiri

Hi pappaFX,

here's good news about gang switches. They are still available in many shapes and numbers in Thailand.

Here are some photos I took today in local electronics shop.

All switch combinations have eight switches, two of them for right angle operation and one for overhead operation.

The switches have one common feature: If a button is pushed halfway in all buttons pop out and there is null switching function. This is a purely mechanical problem, since the pushed button must overcome the latching device and prior to that must release the fomerly pushed button.

If you still need a couple of switches of that kind please let me know. I'll ship them free to your address with just the normal postage (very cheap from Thailand) to be payed onto my PayPal account.

Regards

Boncuk

P.S. Pic2-top and buttom to follow

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 142
Vertically operated switch

Attachments