Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multimeter measured voltage/current from generator applied to a circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCC

I am experimenting with generating DC from a generating coil and attempting to feed it into a circuit in order to power that circuit.

The circuit runs a motor at ~4.5V @ 1/2A DC and has been tested up to 12V @ 1A DC. My generator coil (separate device) outputs ~10V @ ~1A DC, after rectification. These measurements were made using a multimeter.

I expected to be able to simply plug in the output of my generator into the motor circuit and have it run, but it does not.

Can someone explain to me WHY this is? The multimeter shows more than enough voltage and current. Do I have to use a capacitor to store enough charge to power a circuit or am I missing something else? I do have 2 x 220uf caps in my rectification circuit.

Yes I am somewhat new to electronics :)

Last edited:
First a schematic or drawing would be useful. Next though a multimeter tells a few things about the power you are generation it will not show the waveform of the power.

My generator coil (separate device) outputs ~10V @ ~1A DC, after rectification. These measurements were made using a multimeter.

How do you know it will output an amp? Did you load test it? You can't test a generator output without load testing. What did you use for a load?

Ron

First a schematic or drawing would be useful. Next though a multimeter tells a few things about the power you are generation it will not show the waveform of the power.

How do you know it will output an amp? Did you load test it? You can't test a generator output without load testing. What did you use for a load?

Ron

I used a small electric motor for the load, but didn't test the output while under load. I feel stupid for not realizing that! I will also look at the waveform generated - I'm guessing I may have to use some kind of low pass filter to get the right signal. Thanks for your help :)

Looking at your waveform will tell you a lot. That will help determine what is needed for filtering.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back