Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MultiMeter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm looking for a decent auto ranging meter since the uni-T I have is garbage.
It should do the following

Volts
current
capacitance
resistence
power
Ideally continuity that uses an led instead of an annoying piezo buzzer or easy to mod it
transistor tester

I'm looking to spend around 100

I have a $6.00 digital meter with diode, transistor, square-wave and 10A DC. What more would you want?

Don't expect to find a power measurement function on any typical multimeter. The whole idea of an audio annunciator for the continuity function is that you're quickly testing for opens-shorts on cables, connectors, etc.., finding wire ends, etc., all without having to take your eyes from paintaking probing where you don't want to lose your place. In essence, you HAVE a visual display. Just look at the normal display. If you want an ohmmeter function, use the ohmmeter function.

Don't expect to find a power measurement function on any typical multimeter. The whole idea of an audio annunciator for the continuity function is that you're quickly testing for opens-shorts on cables, connectors, etc.., finding wire ends, etc., all without having to take your eyes from paintaking probing where you don't want to lose your place.

Agreed. The reason the continuity buzzer is annoying is because, well, it's 'spozed to be, a little bit anyway.

Sorry I can't add anything to your search for the perfect $100 (or is that 100 Euros?) multimeter.

Something nice to have is when the AC voltage ranges are True RMS responding, RMS indicating rather than Average responding RMS indicating. Especially if you plan to measure AC waveforms other than sine wave. Additionally you may want to consider the accuracy and the resolution of the meter you choose (3 1/2 verse 4 1/2 digit). The more features the more the cost so shop for the best deal for the money and use links like those ModemHead provided to help in the decision.

Ron

I've had a Jaycar Digitech QM1535 ($25) for a long time & it's been very good. Has everything you mention except power & transistor test. It has an audible continuity (& simultaneous ohm readout). Also has a frequency meter. **broken link removed**

The next model up (QM1536) ($80) has everything the 1535 has, plus true RMS AC, temperature & transistor checker.
**broken link removed**

Jaguarjoe:

Got one of them free, so it must be cheap. Generally, I keep forgetting to turn it off. I do use the battery test function, so I might as well call it a battery tester. Harbor Freight is within 10 miles of me, I'd guess.

KISS

Something nice to have is when the AC voltage ranges are True RMS responding

I've never understood how we've mangaed to develop microprocessors, digital photography, cellular phone systems, HDTV and put men on the moon without having true RMS measuring capability in every multimeter. (What's the emoticon for "tongue-in-cheek"?)

I like digits. There's nothing worse than a meter you paid good money for that reads 3.24v when your cheap meter reads 3.248v.

Beware of accuracy vs. resolution vs. number of digits in your display. Cheap DMMs may have 4-1/2 digits but an accuracy of ±0.5%, making those last two digits pretty much worthless. If the meter has good long-term stability, the extra digits can indicate small changes, but not actual value. As a rule of thumb, it takes a 3-1/2 digit display to resolve ±0.1%; 4-1/2 digits for ±0.01%, etc. Even the big boys (Fluke, Agilent) are pushing accuracy vs. digits, especially when you move away from the basic DCV and DCA functions.

Beware of accuracy vs. resolution vs. number of digits in your display. Cheap DMMs may have 4-1/2 digits but an accuracy of ±0.5%, making those last two digits pretty much worthless. If the meter has good long-term stability, the extra digits can indicate small changes, but not actual value. As a rule of thumb, it takes a 3-1/2 digit display to resolve ±0.1%; 4-1/2 digits for ±0.01%, etc. Even the big boys (Fluke, Agilent) are pushing accuracy vs. digits, especially when you move away from the basic DCV and DCA functions.

Exactly my point! :) You're screwed one way or the other; you either have a good meter where you don't get the last digit (total fail) or a cheaper meter where you get the last digit but it may be wrong... ;)

Seeing that I have about 20 multimeters I often reach for the one with the digits, like you said you can still see trends and surprisingly even cheaper meters these days are calibrated on some good equipment and they can have good accuracy matching my Flukes, at least for DC volts.

You can calibrate all your meters yourself using an accurate voltage reference IC; it's not hard to find ones with 0.05% base accuracy.

Last edited:
Hi
I'm looking for a decent auto ranging meter since the uni-T I have is garbage.

I'm looking to spend around 100

First of, the UNI-T is a fine company, they offer nice tools for the price, plus an very excellent support by email.
The 100$ pricing is your problem, but I have good news for you, take a look at the very fresh Agilent U1231A.

The 100$ pricing is your problem, but I have good news for you, take a look at the very fresh Agilent U1231A.
This was looking pretty good until I saw the frequency limit of 100kHz, bummer. Having a range up to, and over, 1Mhz is real handy with a micro's PWM/Timers.

In this case you need the bigger boy U1272A .. :)

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back