Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiplexer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axro

If I wanted to drive 3, 7-segment displays and have 3 inputs connected to an AVR using the least amount of pins, would a multiplexer help me do that? Or would I use a multiplexer?

To drive 3 seven segment displays only requires 10 pins. A multiplexer wouldn't help. A BCD to seven segment decoder would reduce it to 7 pins.

Mike.

If you were driving 8 seven segment displays then you might use a 3 to 8 demultiplexer (eg 74138) to drive each display.

Maybe you are confusing things. The AVR would in fact be multiplexing the display and so would, in effect, be a multiplexer.

Mike.

Thanks Pommie.

Slightly off-topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Shift Register is alot like a multiplexer(actually prob more like a demultiplexer) but it uses serial to communicate correct?

Multiplexers, Shift registers and Decoders are all different kind of devices. All solutions discussed here so far are Decoders.

I used serial to 8bit parallel shift registers in a big 7-segment clock project recently. Shift registers allow you to easily add more segments to the construction when needed. I had an AVR to drive the display.

I too am a fan of serial-to-parallel latch or driver ICs.

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 3-digit 7-seg example.PNG
    3-digit 7-seg example.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Sparkfun Display Driver.PNG
    Sparkfun Display Driver.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • MacMux™ 42.PNG
    MacMux™ 42.PNG
    73.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited: