Multiplexer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axro

If I wanted to drive 3, 7-segment displays and have 3 inputs connected to an AVR using the least amount of pins, would a multiplexer help me do that? Or would I use a multiplexer?

To drive 3 seven segment displays only requires 10 pins. A multiplexer wouldn't help. A BCD to seven segment decoder would reduce it to 7 pins.

Mike.

If you were driving 8 seven segment displays then you might use a 3 to 8 demultiplexer (eg 74138) to drive each display.

Maybe you are confusing things. The AVR would in fact be multiplexing the display and so would, in effect, be a multiplexer.

Mike.

Thanks Pommie.

Slightly off-topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Shift Register is alot like a multiplexer(actually prob more like a demultiplexer) but it uses serial to communicate correct?

Multiplexers, Shift registers and Decoders are all different kind of devices. All solutions discussed here so far are Decoders.

I used serial to 8bit parallel shift registers in a big 7-segment clock project recently. Shift registers allow you to easily add more segments to the construction when needed. I had an AVR to drive the display.

I too am a fan of serial-to-parallel latch or driver ICs.

Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 3-digit 7-seg example.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 326
  • Sparkfun Display Driver.PNG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • MacMux™ 42.PNG
    73.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…