Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Muntuza

Status
Not open for further replies.

muntuza

I am doing an electronics project that will measure voltage and capture it as digital sample, to be stored in larger storage and turn it into data logger with timestamps. I also will add USB interface to dump data computer from log. Anyone will ideas how I must approach this and get cracking. Thanks!

I would start with a microController (uC) that has built in USB like the PIC18F2550. Add an I2C RTC and I2C temperature sensor. All you need is the parts and maybe a dozen wires to connect them. The rest is software. :)

Last edited:
3v0,
Do you know where I may be able to buy the parts you have just mentioned in your return email?

Thanks

Where do you live ?
In the US look at Newark for Microchip parts. Mouser is good as is DigiKey. In Canada use DigiKey. If elswhere I need to know where you are.

Microchip makes the PIC18F2550
Several sources make I2C RTC and temperature sensors.

I live in Canada and you have a lot more option then that. Every major U.S distributor ships to Canada usually for the same prices plus exchange for shipping. Some may want you to jump through some hoops but for most it’s no problem.

The last place U.S or Canadian I would recommend for buying PIC’s is Digikey they are currently the most expensive usually by far. The same can pretty well be said for BJT’s ,FET’S and rectifiers. Digikey is good for chokes, caps and other passives (not because they are cheaper mainly because of selection) they also stock a better selection of motor controllers.

If you’re in Canada I would recommend here

Canada - Electronic Components Distributor | Newark Canada

For PIC’S.

Or pretty well any of the other major distributors like Allied,Mouser,future electronics etc.Or try getting samples off the manufacturer.

Prime example PIC18F2550
Digikey $10.46

Digi-Key - PIC18F2550-I/SO-ND (Microchip Technology - PIC18F2550-I/SO)

Newark $4.88

MICROCHIP|PIC18F2550-I/SO|8-Bit Microcontroller IC | Newark Canada

Last edited:
@Oblong Without knowing where muntuza lives it was pointless to go into a long list of suppliers. I mentioned Digikey because they have a large selection, even if you do not buy from them, they have a wide range of parts and one of the better search engines.

@muntuza I do not recall the names of your suppliers. Enter Australia into your profile location using the user CP.

We have members Australia. If they do respond to this thread in a day start a thread with a title like "Parts suppliers in Australia?". Or search the forum, I am sure it has come up in the past.

While you wait you can read up on I2C. You can study the datasheets for the parts once you have picked them and write code work with them. Do not wait for the parts to show up to start work.

Last edited:
@Oblong Without know where muntuza lives it was pointless to go into a long list of suppliers.

I didn’t provide a long list of supplier’s .I supplied one more then you?

In your response you erroneously lead the OP to believe Digikey was the only place Canadians can buy parts. I just provided him with options. This is what the forum is for, No?

I merely am trying to save him some money by telling him that PIC’s are overpriced there. You disagree?

Last edited:
You are right about the thicker skin. For that I am sorry. As a rule we do not pick on people here or act badly. In that way Electro Tech is a unique forum.

I know that more then a few Americans are idots. You find them in every country.

If you check past posts you will see that I seldom suggest Digikey and often suggest Newark for Microchip parts and Mouser for others.

FWIW I was said "Without know[ing] where muntuza lives it was pointless to go into a long list of suppliers." I did not say that you provided a long pointless list of suppliers.

We have people from all over the globe. It is common for people to ask for parts suppliers. But if they have not set their locatin in the user CP it is impossible to give a good answer.

We got off on the wrong foot. Can we try that again ?

3v0

Last edited:
We got off on the wrong foot. Can we try that again?

No harm done a misunderstanding.

I know my brief and rapid writing can sometimes seem rude, when that isn’t the intention.

I agree totally with the forums philosophy

As a rule we do not pick on people here or act badly.

I don’t come to forums to bicker and argue. Life is to short. I help when and if I can and learn from more experienced people. If I wanted to argue with people I would go back to usenet. Unfortunately that’s all that happens there now ;and spam.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:
New Project

Hi Memebers,

I wanted to know where i could get parts for my electronics project. I live in Perth, Australia and currenty doing a project that will measure voltage and store in externally... I need some help as time is running out fast.

Muntuza

Digikey and mouser both ship to Australia I believe. Between those two you should be able to find anything you need.

I wonder when it's due.
If you've never programmed a microcontroller before it'll probably take more than a week or two. The full version of Swordfish supports USB and may be slightly easier to use than C18

New Project

Blueroomelectronics, thanks for your reply. Yes I have never programmed a microcontroller. I have been studying Python 3 for the programming part but its running rings around me. My project is due in three weeks and behind schedule. Is there a way anyone can help to fix this? Thanks

Learn faster...

tell me something tho... what can I do with those kits you are selling in terms of the project before me... is there anything kit I could for a similar project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back