Musings of Mice and Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

Picked up my first optical mouse today!,
and allready I can't imagine going back
to the old one rumbling across the desk.

I like the way the sides light up when it moves,
and cannot help but wonder if the red led can be
replaced with one of a different colour?

for all I know someone may actually make one
and I can stop looking at mine with a screwdriver
poised to perform exploratory engineering :lol:

Yeah, I have a red optical mouse. It is dim at rest then becomes very bright when I touch or move it. I can lift it and shine it around the room for only 1 second before it dims. I have blinking ultra-bright LED projects of every colour all over my place so I'm not tempted like you to change the colour of my mouse.

A "cool blue" LED requires much more voltage but might work in your circuit. Microsoft and others make blue optical mice (mouses?). :lol:

Ive thought of that, i have a wireless optical mouse though. I think green would be a pretty cool color. Im sure it would drain the batt. much quicker though

Hi Zach,
Different coloured LEDs operate at different voltages but use the same current. Batteries are drained by current so the life of the battery won't change much with a different LED as long as the battery can hold its voltage over its charge. If the power supply in your mouse steps-up the voltage of a single battery cell then an LED having a higher voltage would use more battery power.

Heh heh, nice one David! :lol:

Will changing the color have any affect on sensitivity?

DigiTan said:
Will changing the color have any affect on sensitivity?
I wondered that too.
The path length from the source to the sensor when in use is so short that I wouldn't have thought it would make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…