Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My board is USB powered. How do I use this for other circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everybody and thanks for the help

I have been working with 5V and 3.3V PICs that I power from the power outlet on the wall (with a device of course to change AC into DC). Once I also power my small circuit from the USB.

My question is, now I want to use micros other than PICs. For example the Stellaris Lauchpad or the STM32 Nucleo. Now these boards are USB powered, meaning I connect a cable to the PC through a USB cable and I can say turn on and off a LED.

Well that is well and fine but what if I want to implement non-trivial circuits with these boards? Say (DC, stepper) motors, PWM, LCDs, etc. or maybe if I have to use (in the case of motors for example) 12V or 24 V to power that part of the circuit. What do I do? I mean I am guessing that the ground part of the USB power and the ground part of say the motor control circuit should be the same right?

I would very much appreciate if someone can explain this to me in simple terms, perhaps an example...

Thank you very much.

I use a ("USB charger" thing like my cell phone uses), to power the micro-computer.
THEN
I use a large "wall wort" (same as above but 4x bitter in size) that outputs 24 volts and up to 4 amps, to power motors.
YES
The grounds need to connect together.

I'm only repeating what ronsimpson already have said, you can connect anything together as long as you common the grounds first (and don't start a fire).
The only thing you can't connect is an old British car wired with positive earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back