My fire exit light is out and input is 270+VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mramos1

I have a fire exit light out in my office. I opened it and it was LEDS, I was shocked. Most of the others I looked at are bulbs and flourecent 7 watts tubes with a small balast.. The voltage from the building was like in the UK..

I went back and there was over 270VAC driving it.

They had a 5 nicad pack, a charger for it (pretty big PCB).

I recall the AC to resistor to light an LEDs thread a bit ago.

Anyone have a simple 240volts (was more like 270) to bridge to resistor to charge a 6VDC pack? That I can parallel say 5 white LEDS off it?

277v is pretty common in buildings in the US. Its one leg of a 480v three phase system if i'm not mistaken.

277 / 480 systems are common in the USA.

Mains Option:
Set your charging current to about 10 mA.
Use a 5 Watt resistor of 27 kΩ which will be hot so it requires to be on stand offs. ( 2.7 Watt will be dissipated here).
Put it throug a bridge rectifier and charge your accu.

If accu doesn't charge enough then may need to increase the charging current to 20 mA and resistor 14kΩ 10 Watts.

Transformer option
Use a 277 / 10 Volts transformer which is the safest way to do it.

Be cautious with the mains wiring and i would put it through a 100 mA insulated fuse carrier.

Test and isolate and test before working on the light!! Be safe with the mains and get an electrician to do it if you are not sure what you are doing.
Power does kill.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy1845c and Rodalco.

I will see what the cost on the 277/10 transformer runs. Try to make a low cost, low maintenance fix, but safety if key too. I really like the resistor idea.. And 2 watts is way less that 7watts and the transformers in there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…