Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My first micro was a COSMAC ELF 1802. What was yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1976 I built my first micro. It was an RCA COSMAC ELF 1802 with 256bytes RAM. No EPROM you just toggled your code in binary directly to the RAM via DMA. Had those expensive $25ea TIL311 displays and ran with a large 1MHz crystal.

My first personal computer was a Commodore PET with 16K (Wrote Conways life in the second cassete buffer)

I went on to build an Apple II clone, then a IIe clone... (you could buy the bare circuit board on Queen St in Toronto back then)

Then a clone 8088 (PC) about 1800 solder points if I recall, put a V20 in it and zoom along at 4.7MHz

Played with a 8052BASIC along the way as well as a Z8 BASIC

Now I've been working with PICs since the 16C54 came out.

Programmed in Assembler, BASIC & Pascal. Never quite got the hang of C

I currently program in Parallax assembler, I just like it and find the code eaiser to read then MPASM.

I now feel very old lol.

Attachments

• img_2726_sm.jpg
    img_2726_sm.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 657
Nothing so cool. A PIC 16F877a about a year and a half ago.

Actually, I had an OOPIC before that for a little wile, but that's still a PIC, and I didn't do much with it.

Got my ARM7 chip in today, though. Need to finish making up a board for it and a JTAG programmer and I'll see if I can get this toolchain working.

I have started just recently, about 2 years ago.

My first ever PIC was 16F84A with a simple board with 8 LEDs and 4 buttons that I designed. Since then I programed defferent PICs, ranging from 10F to DsPIC.
I program in Assembly only, although I can do C for PC.
I used various Serial programmers (parallel never worked for me) until I built an ICD2 which is perfect.

1986 Zilog Z80

1 Mhz Clock
1 k Ram
8 k Rom preprogramed with debuger
8 7seg + ~10-15 Led
2 addressable 8 bit port

It was so wonderfull when you key on your 50 line ASM code and RUN,
turn the unit of and you can start from the begening.

Big brake till 1994.

Back with PIC 16c54, gived up in 1 year.

1998 Pic 16c84 then the 17c and 2000 16fxxx

2003 Second chance fro Zillog.
I have a Mint condition Zillog developmant kit for SALE ! :roll:

Today PICxxFxxx and warming up for AVR.
Programing in ASM, Basic, VBasic, and playing w/Delphi.

Csaba911
:arrow:

It was 1972, and a 16 pin 8008 running at a blistering 487.5 kHz. That's 30 kips(kilo instructions per second) or 0.03 MIPS

ROFL
:D

One thing I like about electronics is most people are older than me, and I'm 35. I feel young in comparison.

Oh yeah, I thought we were just talking MicrosControllers, but I went through Timex Sincliar 1000, TRS80, Coleco Adam, C64, C128, and then PC's.

I wasn't refering to the robot with my MicroController comment, I was refering to all the MicroProcessor lists. Though I can certainly see it when you have to put it together.

Z 80

I used the Z 80 inside the Timex machine.

Learnt to do incredible things with it.

Later moved to the 8051 in BASIC and finally 16C57. Still with PIC. Starting now with a 18F452.

Hope to move to a DSPIC soon!!

8008 for me in 1978. First PC was a TRS-80 with 4K of RAM and a cassette tape for loading and saving programs. First job was programming Moto 6800 in hex from instruction card (I still have them somewhere).. Later we got a assember for our Digital VAX machine. God I am old.

mramos1 said:
8008 for me in 1978. First PC was a TRS-80 with 4K of RAM and a cassette tape for loading and saving programs.

I worked at Radio Shacks computer centre on Avenue rd in Toronto and sold & repaired the old TRS-80. We had a model II with all the options upstairs. The original model 1s didn't have keyboard debouncing. Was a problem if the keys got dirty.

I remember NIM was cool looking and the old filght-sim by airsoft.

I went on to try and sell the "BMC IF800" computer at Radio Trade Supply on Yonge st. Weird had a colour monitor & printer built in. They had a cool portable 132 column by 25 line computer portable too. Overheated and very heavy with a tiny but wide display. https://old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=116

Played with the Spectravideo 328 too. I liked MSX BASIC and miss the old TI9918 IC

Attachments

• oki_bmcif800_1.jpg
    oki_bmcif800_1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 326
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back