Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Micro SD stopped reading all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

I own a HTC Tytn 2 PDA phone (marvelous device)...and I have an 8GB Micro SD which I use extensively...well I was using anyway. I used about half of it with loads of applications, audio, video the lot stored on it.

All of a sudden yesterday, none of the data on my micro SD card could be read by the device. None of the applications that I have used the card to store would open and no audio/video/image files can be found on it. I tried hooking it up to the PC (both with the PDA via USB and the card with an adapter) and nothing would read. In the window for the content of the card, all of my previous folders have disappeared with about 3 'random' folders that seem to have 0 memory. I did not delete anything for all my files to disappear like that.

Wierdly enough, it shows that the card is half full! Then where did everything go?? I am suspecting a spreadsheet file which I uploaded from my PC moments before this happened...but that may not be the culprit. This is very frustrating....I tried Google for info but nothing useful came up.

Something like that happened to me once before, but somehow, 'dodgily' I fixed it but cant seem to do it now.

Can anybody assist me on bringing back my old data?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Thanks Krumlink,

Im looking into it. I really wanted to just get it working again, the data is there. Since I know something like that happened once before, Im thinking there is some chance of it all of a sudden working again some how.

Regards.

OK I have decided to "reboot" everything, ie. factory resetting the device and memory card.

Can someone kindly tell me how I return the Micro SD card back to its clean original state as I had it out of the box?

Btw, some files have misteriously reappeared again. But nevermind now, anyone know the best way of deleting everything from the Micro SD...? Because of the problem I have been having, not all the files may show up on the computer for me to just Select All and Delete...hope that makes sense.

Thanks again.

Thanks.

I forgot the program, but it is called disc nuke or something. It completely wipes a hard drive, or location (aka k:\)

OK I have decided to "reboot" everything, ie. factory resetting the device and memory card.

Can someone kindly tell me how I return the Micro SD card back to its clean original state as I had it out of the box?

Btw, some files have misteriously reappeared again. But nevermind now, anyone know the best way of deleting everything from the Micro SD...? Because of the problem I have been having, not all the files may show up on the computer for me to just Select All and Delete...hope that makes sense.

Just format the drive, it's on the right click menu.

Thanks everyone,

When I go to Properties for the card, it says the File System is FAT32... according to some sketchy research, FAT32 system will not work with phones it seems like...and could it be that my computer changed the File System of the card when I was trying to upload a file using my computer (just before this happened)?

thanks

Was it bought from a reputable dealer or was it bought from an "Ebay Seller" ?

A lot of the cheaper memory cards were actually half the stated capacity but had been fiddled with to appear to be a larger card.

The problems only showed up when you tried to use more than half the card ..........

First gargoyle result brought up this ........
**broken link removed**

Thanks for that. Well I got it from an online dealer... I mean the packaging and documentation looked SanDisk alright. At the moment, Im not suspecting it to be a fake one. Im starting all over again, and If I have the same problem when I hit 4GB, then I will be suspicious.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I managed to get rid of everything on my card. Any one know why it says 7.27 of 7.59 GB free? Should it not be 7.59 of 7.59 GB free?

The filesystems TOC will take up a finite room on the disc

Not all memory devices are exactly what they say, there will be a little more or less (Hard drives are an example)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back