Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my PC AGAIN???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

:(

This is very odd to me. I have been using a PC power supply to power the components inside my computer case without a fan attached to the power supply (I unplugged it from the power supply's connectors). This supply (with the fan removed) has worked for well over 5 years. I have replaced the motherboard 3 days ago because my last one was faulty. The computer has worked well for the last 3 days, until all of the sudden, everything except for the computer monitor shuts off without question. I then turned everything off. I checked the fuse by measuring the resistance of it without taking anything apart. It reads about 0.1 ohms. This must mean the fuse is ok.

I tried to go minimal (where only the motherboard is connected to the power supply), but I still get nothing. I also tried the power supply itself without connecting it to anything at all.

In all cases, what I heard when the power supply was on (in the faulty state) is a silent buzz, yet no motors are running.

How can I fix it?

Wow, you were lucky it lasted that long without a fan!

Your new mobo probably drove the PSU a bit harder than the old one, it got too hot and boom. God knows what toasted.

Just buy a new PSU, and make sure you leave the fan connected this time! ;)

Have you tried with another PSU ? That's the only way to determine its the new motherboard that failed or the PSU...

And the power supply must have a load to start, so when leaving it unconnected it won't start anyway...

Exo said:
Have you tried with another PSU ? That's the only way to determine its the new motherboard that failed or the PSU...

And the power supply must have a load to start, so when leaving it unconnected it won't start anyway...

Right, I assumed the PSU was at fault, but if the new mobo is fryed and it's not able to draw any current from the PSU, it might not even be at fault here...

Still, please put that fan back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back